The live-on experience is an essential part of your education at WKU.
All full-time undergraduate students are required to live on campus for two years. Some exemptions apply.
Apply for Residence HallsNew Students
If you are not currently living on campus and would like to submit a housing application, scroll down and follow the instructions below.
Apply for Apartments60+ Credit Hours
Students with 60+ credit hours are eligible to apply.
Spring 2021 WKU Housing Application
Opens October 26, 2020
2021-2022 WKU Housing Application
Opens December 1, 2020
Priority Deadline to Apply:
Students can apply for housing after being admitted to WKU. You do not have to wait until your TOP date to apply.
The priority deadline to apply is March 31st.
Applications are accepted through the active term.
Students can apply for housing through the online Housing Portal. You can save your progress as you fill out your application and revisit at any time.
A $150 deposit is required to submit your application.
Please review the housing terms and conditions before submitting your application.
Changes can be made to your housing application through the WKU Housing Portal through March 31st.
How to Make a Change
- Login to the WKU Housing Portal.
- Choose "Apply for Housing" from the top menu.
- Select the application term.
- Use the application checklist links at the top of the application screen to choose which page(s) you would like to edit.
- Choose "save and continue" on each page you are editing to save the changes.
Assignments are made in date-received order from when your deposit is submitted. Making changes to your application does not affect your date-received status.
Choosing a Roommate
The housing application will allow you to:
- Add a specific person as a roommate,
- Search for a potential roommate and provide matching results, or
- Choose a "random roommate."
You will be required to create a "Roommate Screen Name," a personal description, and answer roommate preference matching questions.
Your Roommate Screen Name will allow others to search for you specifically and will be the only name displayed on your roommate profile.
If you are looking for a potential roommate, the application will generate suggested roommates for you based on your roommate matching preferences. You will be able to view roommate profiles, send private messages, and request a roommate through the WKU Housing Portal.
All roommate requests must be mutual to be honored. While we do our best to accommodate preferences, not all requests can be honored, depending on space availability.
Determining Room Assignments
The University agrees to determine room assignments based upon:
- Date of receipt
- Priority status
- Mutual request for roommate pairing
Returning residents who renew their housing agreement prior to the established deadline are given "priority status" and are reassigned first.
Returning students with over 60 credit hours who apply after the deadline are not guaranteed a hall/room assignment for the upcoming academic year.
Incoming first year and transfer students are assigned after returning students.
If the students' preferences are not available at the time the assignment is made, the student will still receive a housing assignment for a space that is available.
The University makes all assignments without regard to race, sexual orientation or national origin, and rejects all requests for changes of assignments based upon these factors.
If space is available, requests for private rooms will be approved on a first-come, first-serve basis. The resident of a private room agrees to pay the additional charges either before the semester begins or before the move is complete.
Housing assignments will begin to be announced in late April and will continue throughout the summer.
If you apply by the March 31 priority deadline, you will likely receive your housing assignment by mid-June.
Housing assignments are made in date-received order, the earlier you apply, the earlier you will receive your assignment.
Receiving Your Assignment
When your housing assignment is ready to view, you will receive an email directing you to the WKU Housing Portal.
Confirming Your Assignment
If you are still planning to live on campus when you receive your assignment, please confirm your assignment in the Housing Portal.
If you are dissatisfied with your assignment, the Housing Portal will give you the option to request a room change before the start of the academic year.
"Confirming" your assignment lets us know you are still planning to live on campus, even if you are dissatisfied with your room assignment.
If your plans have changed and you are no longer attending WKU, please choose the option to cancel your housing assignment in the Housing Portal.
Before the Semester Begins
If you are dissatisfied with your assignment prior to the beginning of the semester, you can request a change of assignment in the Housing Portal.
Follow these steps:
- Login to the WKU Housing Portal
- Select "View and Confirm Room Assignment"
- Select the appropriate term and choose "Save & Continue"
- Select "Confirm Room Assignment, Attending WKU" from the "Confirm Placement" dropdown menu and choose "Save & Continue"
- Choose an option in the dropdown menu to request a change (private room, different building, move with roommate request) and choose "Save & Continue"
Due to the high demand for housing, assignment changes are limited prior to the start of the fall semester. There are no guarantees, but changes may be made as space permits.
If you have previously requested a change, you do not need to request it again.
After the Semester Begins
There is a room change request process available after move-in if we are unable to grant your request before the beginning of the semester.
Before Receiving Your Assignment
If you are no longer planning to attend WKU after you have submitted your housing application, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org to cancel your housing application.
Please include your name and WKU Identification Number (800 number) with your request to cancel.
After Receiving Your Assignment
If you need to cancel your Housing Agreement after you have received your housing assignment, please visit the WKU Housing Portal and do the following:
- Login to the WKU Housing Portal
- Select “View & Confirm Room Assignment”
- Select the term of your housing assignment and click “Save & Continue”
- Select “Cancel my housing – not attending WKU; not living on-campus” and click “Save and Continue”
A resident who cancels the Housing Agreement prior to the beginning of the academic year, will receive a partial refund based on the following Dates:
- Cancellation received or postmarked before or on June 1 for a Contract beginning Fall
Semester or November 15 for spring semester, will receive a $100.00 refund.
- Cancellation received or postmarked June 2 or on July 1 for a contract beginning fall
semester or November 16 and December 15 for spring semester, will receive $50.00.
- Cancellation received and postmarked/dated on or after July 2 for Fall or December 16 for Spring Semester receive NO REFUND of deposit.
- Cancellation received or postmarked before or on June 1 for a Contract beginning Fall Semester or November 15 for spring semester, will receive a $100.00 refund.
Written notice of cancellation must be made to the Department of Housing & Residence Life in order to receive a deposit refund.
A student who is denied admission will receive a full refund of the deposit when they withdraw or cancel.
A student who does not receive a room assignment, either permanent or temporary, before the beginning of the academic year due to unavailable space will receive a full refund of the deposit.