Western Kentucky University's Division of Enrollment and Student Experience (ESE) is seeking applicants for the position of Budget & Financial Analyst. This position reports directly to the Vice President for the Division of Enrollment and Student Experience (VPESE). The ESE Division is comprised of 4 units of organization:
- Enrollment Management: Admissions, Student Financial Assistance, and College & School Relations
- Student Engagement: Housing & Residence Life, Dining Services, Student Activities/Organizations/Leadership, Campus Recreation & Wellness, and the ID Center
- Student Life: Dean of Students, Counseling Center, Intercultural Student Engagement Center, TRIO Programs, Student Conduct, and the Student Accessibility Resource Center
- Student Success: Advising and Career Development Center, Transfer Center, Adult Learner Services, and the Student Athlete Success Center.
Additional programs housed within the division include the Office of Sustainability and the Esports program.
This position is responsible for the development, administration, management, and reporting of all budgetary and financial components of the division and its units, including current budget management, projecting budgetary needs for future years, and the administrative oversight of financial transactions across the division. This position maintains knowledge in benchmark program costs, University policies and procedures, and overall budget management. In addition, the Budget & Financial Analyst will collect, analyze, and report data regarding the financial status of the division on a consistent basis and act as the primary point of contact for budget related concerns.
Furthermore, a successful candidate will demonstrate the knowledge and experience to assist the Vice President and department heads to achieve their mission while operating within general University and state policies. This includes preparing revenue and expenditure budgets; financial planning, management, and analysis; general accounting and administrative duties; VPESE support with contract and business negotiations; contract and grant administration; communication and liaison with university departments; and special projects requested by the VPESE.
The following duties are customary for this position and are not to be construed as all-inclusive. Duties may be added, deleted, and assigned based on management discretion and institutional needs.
- Maintain, manage, and report on all departmental operational and financial activities related to the Division of Enrollment and Student Experience
- Collaborate with each office administered by the ESE Division to ensure that University and departmental goals are met within outlined strategies
- Ensure compliance with institutional financial policies to include any applicable state or federal regulations to achieve the highest levels of financial integrity
- Provide accurate budget information and analysis for each department head within the division on a monthly basis or as required; monitor and track all personnel budgets to maximize staff efficiency; conduct financial record reviews and audits of each department to improve resource utilization, efficiency, and effectiveness
- Monitor and report on trends in enrollment, financial aid strategies, high school and higher education projections, providing advice and guidance to manage budget to future scenarios
- Take a leadership role in cyclical budget development, strategic planning, and financial reporting
- Monitor and reconcile dining services funds contracted through Aramark for capital investment and renewal, program improvement, and maintenance & equipment
- Aid in departmental revenue projections, forecasting expenditures, and annual budgets
- Produce and maintain any transfers, revenue or expenditure corrections
- Provide financial oversight in contract management between WKU and the Student Life Foundation
- Liaison with Budget Executive Committee
- Develop positive and constructive relationships with University Accounting and Budget personnel, Foundation representatives, and external constituency groups
- Participate in University committees, selection processes, and other assignments as needed
- Perform ad-hoc assignments and tasks in support of the mission and goals of the division
- Other duties as assigned
Knowledge and Skills Considered Essential for Success
- Strong financial and analytical abilities
- Demonstrated critical thinking skills, strong oral and written communication skills, and acute attention to detail
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to work effectively in a consultative decision-making culture with a diverse population and handle conflict management
- Knowledge of issues and trends related to higher education
- Experience with financial management computer technology, the application of financial systems, and experience in implementing new technology solutions
- Familiarity with indirect cost allocation models
- Familiarity with student services and federal regulations governing student records
- Ability to manage complex situations simultaneously, coordinating both long-term projects and immediate demands
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience with financial management and budgeting for government, non-profit or higher education entities
- Ability to work independently and lead in a team environment to pursue innovative ideas and solutions to complex challenges
- Effective organizational and time management skills
- Knowledge of Banner Finance and other WKU operating systems is beneficial
- Proficiency in use of computer, including software applications in MS Office Suite (Word, Excel, Outlook, etc.)
- Adaptability and flexibility in professional position; able to adjust with new tasks and/or the changing of current procedures as applicable
- Bachelor's degree in accounting, finance, management, business or related field with acceptable level of experience for position
- Minimum of 5 years of experience managing budgetary and financial activities
Salary Range: $60,000 - $65,000
Kentucky state law requires all public institutions of postsecondary education to conduct pre-employment criminal background checks to determine suitability for employment.
Western Kentucky University (WKU) is committed to a policy and practice of providing equal employment and educational opportunities to all individuals. In accordance with Title VI and VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, Title IX of the Educational Amendments of 1972, Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, Revised 1992, and the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, no form of discrimination or harassment will be tolerated at WKU on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, national origin, creed, religion, political belief, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, marital status, age, uniformed services, veteran status, genetic information, pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions, or physical or mental disability in admission to career and technical education programs and/or activities, or employment practices.
Persons with disabilities, who need reasonable accommodations to participate in the application and/or selection process, should notify the office of Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action/University ADA Services (EEO). To request an accommodation, report/express a complaint, or ask questions regarding WKU''s Discrimination and Harassment Policy (#0.2040), please contact Mr. Joshua Hayes, EEO Director/Title IX Investigator/University ADA Coordinator, via email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at (270) 745-5121.
The University is also required to investigate complaints of sex and gender-based harassment, also a form of discrimination, and has designated the Title IX Coordinator as the individual responsible for coordinating the investigation and response to such complaints. The Title IX Coordinator for the University is Ms. Ena Demir, who can be contacted via email at email@example.com or by phone at (270) 745-6867. Additional information regarding Title IX is accessible via WKU's https://www.wku.edu/titleix/ website.
Information concerning educational programs offered by WKU are provided at: http://www.wku.edu/atwku/academics.php