The Specialist is responsible for producing, shooting, and editing high-energy, emotionally compelling video content designed to engage with multiple constituencies and increase the brand strength of Western Kentucky University. Working within the WKU Division of Communications & Marketing, this position will develop and produce content for use online (including social media channels and University-managed webpages) and occasionally for broadcast. The successful candidate will have a deep understanding of video production, asset acquisition, and editing techniques.
Primary Job Duties:
The following duties are customary but are not intended to be all-inclusive. Duties may be added, deleted, or changed based on university and divisional needs.
Concepting and Planning (approximately 5%):
- Work with the AVP for Marketing & Brand Strategy, the WKU Marketing Content Team, communication and marketing coordinators from across campus, and other key constituent groups to understand goals, prioritize initiatives, and create a distribution schedule that ensures frequent dissemination of video content
- Suggest topics and undertake projects that visually express WKU's brand promise in accordance with university policies and brand standards
Video acquisition (approximately 40%):
- Capture a wide variety of video content ranging from high-energy, candid action sequences to professional interviews with members of the WKU community
- Acquire video on behalf of other WKU departments, including student recruitment units and the Division of Philanthropy and Alumni Engagement
- Plan and coordinate video shoots, including location selection, scheduling, and preparing equipment
- Set up and operate camera, lighting, and sound equipment
Editing (approximately 50%):
- Edit footage captured and footage acquired through other sources or by other individuals to create emotional and engaging content that is tailored to the intended distribution channel
- Develop multiple versions of most projects in order to maximize the relevancy to the intended delivery target, including cuts for placement on the web, platform-specific social media videos, and creating both vertical and horizontal videos
- Create and incorporate visual effects and motion graphics to enhance the content and tie together content with a recognizable visual identity
- Review and remain current with editing and graphic best practices to ensure that WKU's video content is salient and meets or exceeds quality expectations
Archiving (approximately 5%):
- Develop and maintain a video asset management archive that makes readily available clips and footage that may be of use across multiple projects
Skills considered essential for success:
- Strong visual communication and storytelling skills
- Ability to prioritize work to meet deadlines
- Easily adapts to frequent shifts in priority and tactic
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills and the ability to collaborate
- Strong professionalism and comfort providing direction to senior-level WKU leaders
- Knowledge of video production for social media channels and websites
- Experience with visual effects and motion graphics
- Experience with operating professional-grade cameras, sound equipment, and lighting
- Bachelor's degree earned (by start date)
- At least two years of experience in video production and editing
- Demonstrated proficiency in video acquisition and editing (including software such as Final Cut, Adobe Premiere, or similar programs)
Salary Range: $39,100 - $40,000
This is a full-time, benefits eligible, 12-month position in the Division of Communications & Marketing and will report to the AVP for Marketing & Brand Strategy. The benefits package for this position includes retirement plan options (including Kentucky Teacher Retirement), health insurance, tuition waivers, and generous paid time off provisions. (Details on WKU's full-time employee benefits can be found at https://www.wku.edu/hr/benefits/healthandwellness/benefitsguide2023.pdf.) The Specialist will work primarily in person but the successful candidate may negotiate up to 20% remote work.
Kentucky state law requires all public institutions of postsecondary education to conduct pre-employment criminal background checks to determine suitability for employment.
Western Kentucky University (WKU) is committed to a policy and practice of providing equal employment and educational opportunities to all individuals. In accordance with Title VI and VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, Title IX of the Educational Amendments of 1972, Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, Revised 1992, and the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, no form of discrimination or harassment will be tolerated at WKU on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, national origin, creed, religion, political belief, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, marital status, age, uniformed services, veteran status, genetic information, pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions, or physical or mental disability in admission to career and technical education programs and/or activities, or employment practices.
Persons with disabilities, who need reasonable accommodations to participate in the application and/or selection process, should notify the office of Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action/University ADA Services (EEO). To request an accommodation, report/express a complaint, or ask questions regarding WKU''s Discrimination and Harassment Policy (#0.2040), please contact Mr. Joshua Hayes, EEO Director/Title IX Investigator/University ADA Coordinator, via email at email@example.com or by phone at (270) 745-5121.
The University is also required to investigate complaints of sex and gender-based harassment, also a form of discrimination, and has designated the Title IX Coordinator as the individual responsible for coordinating the investigation and response to such complaints. The Title IX Coordinator for the University is Ms. Ena Demir, who can be contacted via email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at (270) 745-6867. Additional information regarding Title IX is accessible via WKU's https://www.wku.edu/titleix/ website.
Information concerning educational programs offered by WKU are provided at: http://www.wku.edu/atwku/academics.php