Western Kentucky University Campus Recreation & Wellness, is seeking applicants for the Director position. The Director is an innovative full-time, professional leader in a dynamic department committed to creating supportive learning environments and helping students to reach their curricular and co-curricular goals. The Director is Responsible for the overall administration, supervision and continuous development of a comprehensive Campus Recreation and Wellness Department which includes aquatics, fitness, informal recreation, intramural sports, outdoor recreation, sport clubs, student and employee wellness, summer camps, and special events programming. Additional responsibilities include the overseeing of the daily operations of the Raymond B. Preston Health and Activities Center, the Bill Powell Natatorium, the Hattie L. Preston Intramural Sports Complex, a Health and Fitness Lab, an Outdoor Recreation Adventure Center, a Disc Golf Course, and the WKU Challenge Course. The Director also serves as the university liaison with Graves Gilbert Clinic who provides on-campus healthcare services to the entire WKU community (students, faculty, staff, spouses, and children).
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
The following duties are customary for this position, but are not to be construed as all-inclusive. Duties may be added, deleted and assigned based on management discretion and institutional needs.
Leadership and Supervision of the Department - 50%
- Supervises the daily operation of all Campus Recreation and Wellness programs, services and locations.
- Monitors all budgets to ensure all funds are spent so support the mission of the Department.
- Initiates, coordinates and assesses all departmental policies.
- Oversees the risk management program for the department
- Coordinate the planning, developing, and designing of all future renovations and expansions of the Raymond B. Preston Health & Activities Center and the Hattie L. Preston Intramural Sports Complex.
Strategic Planning, Assessment & Implementation - 20%
- Oversees the strategic planning, assessment, and implementation of the Departmental vision, mission and goals.
- Develops assessment methods to provide for continual improvement of programs and services.
- Ensures that Departmental programs and services are aligned with the university strategic plan.
- Involves student in identifying programs and services that are desired and not currently provided.
Campus Engagement and Marketing- 20%
- Consistently seeks ways to identify and develop productive partnerships with other University departments, to facilitate delivery of programs and services.
- Proactively communicates with University constituents related to Campus Recreation and Wellness topics.
- Designs and implements ways to increasingly engage students in physical fitness and wellness activities.
Other Duties as Assigned -10%
- Participates in other duties and activities as required or necessary for the efficient/effective operation of the Division of Enrollment and Student Experience.
Knowledge and Skills Considered Essential for Success:
- Must possess the ability to maintain an effective, cooperative working relationship with supervisors, supervisees, and co-workers, in keeping with the values and mission of both the Department and the University
- Must possess above average oral, written, and computer communication skills
- Must possess above average multi-tasking, administrative, and organizational skills
- Must possess above average critical thinking, problem-solving, and decision-making skills
- Must be willing to assume additional responsibilities within the department as needed
- Must model a positive attitude regarding diversity
- Must adhere to the ethical code of conduct governing the Student Affairs profession
- Master's degree in Recreational Sports Management, Sports Administration, Exercise Science, Health Administration, Business Administration or any other closely related applicable field.
- At least five years of collegiate campus recreation, health promotion or fitness experience
- At least three years of direct supervisory experience of professional staff
Successful applicant must be willing to submit to a state and national criminal history background check
Compensation and Benefits:
Salary of $65,000 - $80,000 with excellent benefits package including: medical insurance, dental insurance, life insurance, retirement plan, partial tuition waiver, University Bookstore discount, and reduced membership to the University's health and fitness facility. Professional development and extensive training opportunities within the Department, the Division of Enrollment and Student Experience, and the University at-large
Kentucky state law requires all public institutions of postsecondary education to conduct pre-employment criminal background checks to determine suitability for employment.
Western Kentucky University (WKU) is committed to a policy and practice of providing equal employment and educational opportunities to all individuals. In accordance with Title VI and VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, Title IX of the Educational Amendments of 1972, Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, Revised 1992, and the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, no form of discrimination or harassment will be tolerated at WKU on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, national origin, creed, religion, political belief, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, marital status, age, uniformed services, veteran status, genetic information, pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions, or physical or mental disability in admission to career and technical education programs and/or activities, or employment practices.
Persons with disabilities, who need reasonable accommodations to participate in the application and/or selection process, should notify the office of Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action/University ADA Services (EEO). To request an accommodation, report/express a complaint, or ask questions regarding WKU''s Discrimination and Harassment Policy (#0.2040), please contact Mr. Joshua Hayes, EEO Director/Title IX Investigator/University ADA Coordinator, via email at email@example.com or by phone at (270) 745-5121.
The University is also required to investigate complaints of sex and gender-based harassment, also a form of discrimination, and has designated the Title IX Coordinator as the individual responsible for coordinating the investigation and response to such complaints. The Title IX Coordinator for the University is Ms. Deborah Wilkins, who can be contacted via email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at (270) 745-5396. Additional information regarding Title IX is accessible via WKU''s https://www.wku.edu/titleix/ website.
Information concerning educational programs offered by WKU are provided at: http://www.wku.edu/atwku/academics.php