- Residence Hall Director
- Assistant Residence Hall Director
- About HRL
- Human Resources
- The Graduate School
- City of Bowling Green, KY
About the Desk Assistant Position
The Desk Assistant (DA) is considered a customer service position representing the Department of Housing and Residence Life and serves in many instances as the first impression of the specific residence hall. Desk Assistants are an important part of the HRL team. The primary responsibility of the Desk Assistant is to serve as a customer service representative, a security monitor and referral agent for residents at Western Kentucky University. Desk Assistants are also utilized in assisting professional staff members in meeting the mission of the Department of Housing & Residence Life.
- Maintain a semester and cumulative grade point average of 2.0 or above
- Be considered in good academic standing with the university
- Pursue twelve (12) or more undergraduate hours or nine (9) or more graduate hours per semester.
Time and Presence Commitments
- Attends fall and spring training sessions as coordinated by the department and respective hall director
- Available to assist in opening and closing of the residence hall as per the discretion of the hall director and in conjunction with finals week scheduling
- Adheres to scheduling assignments and arrive to shift in a timely fashion
- Agrees to seek shift replacement among residence hall staff in the event of an illness or emergency (consult with respective supervisor prior to shift assignment)
Professional and Administrative Tasks
- Agrees to communicate appropriately and effectively with residents, parents, staff, faculty and respective supervisor
- Represents the university in a positive manner at all times as related to the Desk Assistant position
- Provides excellent customer service to residents and visitors of the residence hall
- Enforces and upholds university policies during the course of the assigned shift
- Carries out job responsibilities as assigned by respective hall supervisor and in accordance to the desk manual
- Serves in assisting in the security of the building by attentively requiring identification and logging in visitation of guests to the respective hall
- Accurately complete paper and web-time timesheets according to the appropriate deadline schedule
- Any duties as assigned by the department or respective hall supervisor
Accumulated hours per bi-weekly pay period as logged through desk log, paper and electronic timesheets. Compensation for Desk Assistants will begin at $7.35/hour. After serving within the department past one fall training, a ten cent raise is given for academic yearly service.
Conditions of Employment
The term of employment begins at the hall's early training and opening in the fall or upon your pre-arranged first day of employment during the course of the academic year and ends upon the closing time set forth in the spring semester when the respective building closes. You may be expected to work night hours. If you are employed in a building that is open during the semester break, spring break, Thanksgiving break or January term, you are also expected to be available during those times as requested by your respective Hall Director supervisor. Staff positions are renewable upon the mutual consent of the Desk Assistant and the respective Hall Director supervisor. Student must be in good standing with the university.
Please contact Eliza Jackson at firstname.lastname@example.org with questions.