The residence halls will close on Saturday, December 14, 2019 at 6 PM for winter break, with the exception of Douglas Keen, Northeast, and Hilltopper Halls.
All residence halls will reopen on Friday, January 24, 2020 at 8 AM.
Register for the Spring Semester
Make sure you have your spring class schedule before you leave for the break. If you need to register, the Academic and Career Development Center has walk-in advisors available to help you.
The Academic and Career Development Center is located in the Downing Student Union in room 2141 and is open Monday-Friday 8:00 am - 4:30 pm.
Prepare Your Room for the Break
Please complete the closedown procedures listed below before you leave for the break:
- Sign-up in advance for a check-out time with your RA (if your RA is not available, check with another
RA in your building).
- Defrost and unplug refrigerator. Prop door open to prevent mold and mildew build-up.
Make sure the refrigerator is clean and dry.
- Unplug all electrical equipment including computers, aquariums, stereos, televisions,
- Move the refrigerator, furniture, and all other belongings from in front of the heating
unit so the filter can be changed.
- Wash all dirty dishes.
- Throw away all trash and clean out the trash can. Take all trash to compactor or outside
dumpster. Activate compactor with your room key.
- Set room temperature to 65 degrees and the fan speed in auto -OR- at halfway between
blue and red with the fan speed on low (depending on what building you live in).
- Remove belongings from the closet floor. This prepares the room to be sprayed for
pests. If you have a wardrobe, you do not have to remove your belongings.
- Close and lock windows. Turn lights off and lock your room.
- If you are changing rooms or if you are permanently checking out, see your RA or Hall
Director for additional instructions.
- Check your mailbox.
You do NOT need to remove all of your belongings from your room during Winter Break. Only remove all of your belongings if you plan on checking out and not returning in the Spring Semester.
If you are not returning to your residence hall room in the spring semester, please follow the official check out procedures:
If/when you leave for the holidays, please do the following:
- Unplug all your appliances, except the refrigerator
- Close and lock windows
- Empty trash
- Turn lights off
- Lock room
If you are changing rooms or if you are permanently checking out, see your RA or Hall Director for additional paperwork and instructions. Continue to carry your room key and ID with you at all times.