Facebook Pixel Student Resources | Western Kentucky University Skip to main content

Student Resources

There are many resources available on and off campus to help you succeed. Links to different areas are listed below to guide you to those resources. External resources are those outside the WKU community. Also, refer to the parent/guardian page for further resources.

Lists on the SARC website are in no way meant to be exhaustive. Although we have done our best to verify any resources listed below, we cannot guarantee the validity of all resources, or the validity of resources provided by other sites. 


WKU Resources WKU Resources

Below are some of the on-campus resources that we think will be most relevant to our students' success.

  • Students are encouraged to complete the application for awards as soon as possible. Some awards may be on a "first-come, first-served" basis, so awards are only made until funds have depleted. 
  • Students are encouraged to complete the FAFSA. It opens October 1st.
  • WKU Financial Aid's Scholarship Page
  • WKU TopDollar Scholarship Source - The deadline for completing the application is February 1st.
  • KY AHEAD Scholarship Information (external)
  • Students with disabilities are encouraged to contact their local Vocational Rehabilitation Office for information about external financial assistance.
  • Additional external scholarships are listed in the section below.
  • Housing and Residence Life
  • Students requesting housing accommodations must provide documentation to the SARC from a licensed professional which outlines their diagnosis. Documentation must be from the last three years and include specific recommendations for accommodations (i.e. private room, private bathroom, room on lower/first floor). Once the information is received, the SARC will notify WKU Housing and Residence Life (HRL) in a timely manner of the request(s). HRL then determines placement based on the student’s accommodation request(s). Please, review the full SARC registration process here. You will also need to contact HRL with your request.
  • Postsecondary education institution as defined in KRS 164.948 shall provide priority for first-floor housing to any student who informs the institution of a disability, or a sensory, cognitive, or neurological deficit or impairment, or a learning disorder, minimal brain dysfunction, dyslexia, pervasive developmental disorder, autism, or Asperger's syndrome. As used in this section, "disability" has the same meaning as in KRS 344.010. Those students requesting first floor housing need to contact WKU Housing and Residence Life.


External Resources regarding Disabilities External Resources regarding Disabilities

We have listed below resources that includes local and state resources and national organizations that can assist by providing services and information for persons with disabilities. Some references below are general resources for students with disabilities, while some are tailored to a certain group of people (i.e. deaf and hard-of-hearing resources) or specific need (i.e. scholarship information).

Barren River Aging and Disability Resource Center (ADRC)


City of Bowling Green, KY

  • You can also find a short list of disability resources on the official municipal website of Bowling Green, KY.

Resource lists of scholarships:

  • MoodTools is a free app that was designed in collaboration with multiple mental health professionals in order to lift one’s mood and combat depression. The app contains different research-supported tools, such as: a thought diary, activity tracker, a suicide safety plan, information, a PHQ-9 depression test, and helpful videos. To read more about MoodTools, click on the following link: http://www.moodtools.org/.
  • Stop, Breathe, Think is a free, personalized meditation and mindfulness app. It allows you to check in with your emotions and then provides guided meditations and activities in correlation to your daily check-ins. To read more about Stop, Breathe, Think, follow this link: https://www.stopbreathethink.com/.
  • Virtual Hope Box is a free app designed for use by patients and their behavioral health care providers as an accessory to treatment. The Virtual Hope Box contains tools to help patients with coping, relaxation, distraction, and inspiration; all of the content can be personalized with the collaboration of the patient and providers. You can read more and download the Virtual Hope Box in your iTunes or Google Store.
  • The Rave Guardian App allows students to send crime tips, make 9-1-1 calls, call WKU Campus Police directly, and create safety timers - If destination is not reached and alarm is not successfully deactivated by user within the time limit of the safety timer, the alarm will go off and trigger the WKU Police dispatch center. You can read more and download the Rave Guardian App in your iTunes or Google Store.
  • The Crisis Text Line is a free, 24/7 support for anyone in a crisis. It is not limited to a certain type of crisis, but rather any painful emotion in which you need support. Text 741741 to begin a conversation with a trained Crisis Counselor. The Crisis Counselor is only there to provide support and to help you move from a hot moment to a cool moment; they cannot provide medical advice. You can read more about the Crisis Text Line at https://www.crisistextline.org/. You can also find instructions on how to text-in at https://www.crisistextline.org/texting-in/



Request an alternative format of any content on this site by contacting the SARC at 270-745-5004 or via email sarc.connect@wku.edu.

Some of the links on this page may require additional software to view.

 Last Modified 8/17/18