Facebook Pixel faq | Western Kentucky University


Frequently Asked Questions



How do I schedule an appointment?

The best way to schedule an appointment is to either call our office at 270 745 3159 and we can work to coordinate schedules and get you an appointment ASAP. 

Is there a fee?

We are currently not collecting a fee for services. Additionally, we do not bill for insurance; therefore, we do not need insurance cards or proof of insurance

What if my problem isn’t serious enough to go to a counselor?

Most students who come to the Counseling Center are seeking someone with an objective ear outside their family and circle of friends to talk to. Counselors and psychologists don’t offer advice or tell you what to do. Instead, they are specially trained to help you meet your challenges head-on before they become serious problems. The Counseling Center provides a safe, non-judgmental space to work through issues that many college students face.

Who will know I am getting counseling?

Counseling is confidential. Because therapy is most effective when a student can be direct and honest with a counselor without fear that personal information will be divulged, the Counseling Center does not release information about a student without that student’s written permission, except in the case of imminent danger to self or others, child or dependent abuse, court order, or where otherwise required by law. No information about your visits will ever be connected to any of your WKU administrative or academic records.

How many times will I need to meet with a counselor?

The Counseling Center provides short-term counseling to discuss any personal concerns students may be facing and work with students to develop new ways of resolving problems. Most problems are resolved within eight sessions, often less. There is no limit on the number of sessions students can meet with counselors, though a student may require more intensive treatment or more specialized treatment than the Counseling and Testing Center can provide. In these cases, the Counseling and Testing Center will assist you in finding a local treatment provider who better can meet your needs.

What is the Counseling Center's address?

Western Kentucky University

Counseling Center

409 Potter Hall

1906 College Heights Blvd #11024

Bowling Green, KY  42101-1024

How do I find the office?

Take Exit 26 off of Interstate 65.

Turn toward Bowling Green onto Cemetery Road.

Continue straight for three miles. Cemetery Road becomes Fairview Avenue. Continue going straight across 31-W Bypass. You will pass a fire station on your left. After passing the fire station, turn left at the third traffic light onto College Street (this is a one-way street).

Stay on College Street through downtown Bowling Green and continue until you reach the top of the hill. College Street will dead-end at College Heights Blvd. at a statue of Henry Hardin Cherry. Turn right onto College Heights Blvd.  Turn left onto Hilltop Drive.

Potter Hall is located at the top of the hill. The Counseling Center is on the 4th floor, room 409. On-campus directions are available via WKU campus map.

Can I choose my counselor?

 Every effort will be made to accommodate special requests. In an emergency or crisis, this may not be possible.

My problems seem to be spinning out of control.  Will the Counseling Center help with serious mental health challenges?

 Counselors are trained to diagnose and help you manage a full range of psychological issues including depression, anxiety, alcohol and drug abuse, eating disorders, trauma, and thoughts of suicide.

What about medication?

 First and foremost, it’s your choice. We have the ability to make referrals to Med Center Health at WKU or several local psychiatrists. We recommend those students who receive medications receive on-going counseling to provide the most effective care possible.

What about having an Emotional Support Animal (ESA)?

What about having an emotional support animal (ESA)?

Thank you for asking about an emotional support animal.  Our quick short answer is that we do not provide documents for students seeking an emotional support animal (ESA).  We do value the emotional support that pets provide; however, we do not believe it is ethically responsible for us to predict that a pet will provide sufficient support for anxiety or depression.


If your anxiety or depression is severe enough to be a disability, you can work with the SARC (Student Accessibility Resource Center) staff to receive accommodations. The purpose of the SARC is to coordinate services and accommodations for students with documented disabilities. Accommodations are official forms of support, assistance, etc. to help students benefit from being at the university despite their disability.  [Complete the SARC Registration process by submitting an online request and documentation for a licensed care provider. You will also need to make a request with Housing and Residence Life.]  An emotional support animal (ESA) is an accommodation because pets are generally not allowed in residence halls or apartments.  An emotional support animal (ESA) is basically a pet that you are allowed to have where pets are typically not allowed.  Our center does not provide documentation so a student can get around a policy preventing pets.  We would only recommend an emotional support animal (ESA) if we have proof that the student can significantly reduce their distress when interacting with the pet. And even then, we would want to help the student be able to reduce distress without the use of an animal. 


The data is not clear, at this time, that an emotional support animal (ESA) will work to reduce anxiety or depression.  We believe we would need several months of counseling before we could recommend an emotional support animal as an accommodation for a disability to see if an emotional support animal will cause a reduction of anxiety or depression. 


There are, however, many techniques that we can share with you that are known to reduce anxiety or depression and we would be happy to share these with you in counseling sessions.  So, in short, until we know more about how people reduce anxiety or depression by interacting with pets we do not feel it is responsible or professional to recommend an emotional support animal (ESA) as an accommodation for a disability. 

Questions about this policy may be directed to the Counseling Center.

Dr. Peggy Crowe, Director

Dr. Karl Laves, Associate Director, Licensed Counseling Psychologist

Some of the links on this page may require additional software to view.

 Last Modified 3/26/24