Skip to main content
Skip to main content

Registration Process - SARC

Registration Process

Let’s Get Started…

Before we start: If you are already registered with our office, but would like to request additional accommodations or services, please send us this request in writing via email outlining the accommodations/services needing to be added. You may have to provide additional documentation substantiating this request, if we do not already have such documentation on file. 

If you were previously registered with our office, but took some time out of school, you may not need to reapply if it has been within the last 5 years. If you think this applies to you, reach out to us and we will let you know if we still have your file or if you need to reapply.


Register Step 1: Request for Accommodations and Services

The request process outlined herein will complete most of your paperwork necessary for receiving accommodations and services. Students are encouraged to begin the registration process with SARC as soon as they are admitted to WKU, immediately before to registration for classes, to ensure that eligibility for services and accommodations are in place prior to classes beginning.

The three parts of this request are outlined below:

  1. You will begin with the Request for Accommodations and Services portion of registration. This is basic information about yourself and your disability.
  2. To appropriately provide accommodations and services, SARC will need to have your consent to release information related to you and/or your disability. You will sign an Informed Consent for Disability Information Release.
  3. Since information provided to this office is considered part of your education records, it is covered under The Federal Family Education Rights and Privacy Act. You have the option of signing a FERPA Student Disclosure Permission Form which allows SARC staff to communicate information from your education records to external parties such as your family and other service providers. More information on FERPA can be found here.
  • Click the button below to get started. If you prefer, you may download the Request for Accommodations and Services Form (PDF) and mail, fax, email, or bring the completed form to SARC. Location and Contact Information within PDF.
WKU SARC - Registration


Documentation   Step 2: Documentation

Medical Documentation submitted can be a letter written from your primary healthcare provider OR the SARC                                     Verification Form but you DO NOT have to submit both.

      • Students must provide disability related verification documentation substantiating the functional impact of the condition in order to receive the appropriate accommodations.For example, this could be a letter written by your primary healthcare provider, on their letterhead, that states your disability and what services you may require to help with that. Documentation Guidelines, as outlined by AHEAD, can be found here.
      • We provide this Verification Form (PDF), to be completed by your care provider, which can be used as documentation.  
  • Formal documentation on letterhead from your provider is another acceptable form of documentation. Other forms of documentation include a 504/IEP. We may request additional psycho-educational evaluations to help determine appropriate accommodations and services.
  • This documentation is necessary to proceed with providing accommodations and services. Mail, fax, email, or bring the documentation to SARC as soon as possible. Location and Contact Information below in next section.

Note: Retrieving documentation is likely to warrant a visit to a health care provider. Complete this in a timely manner.

Student Accessibility Resource Center
Downing Student Union, Rm. 1074
Phone: 270-745-5004     Fax: 270-745-6289
TTY: 270-745-3030      Video: 270-288-0597

Student Accessibility Resource Center
Western Kentucky University
1906 College Heights Blvd #21052
Downing Student Union, Rm. 1074
Bowling Green, KY 42101-1052


Intake Appointment  Step 3: Initial Contact

Once your registration is complete, with application and documentation on file, our coordinator will begin to review requests in the order they are received. This will be the time that you may be asked to send additional documentation, specify accommodations, or take more steps towards your request. 

Be patient, but also be attentive. We will be sending all correspondence via TopperMail, if applicable. If you do not have a Topper email address yet, please refer to the email you applied to our office with or provided to the University. 


Faculty Notification Letter  Step 4: Faculty Notification Letters

SARC will review your request for services. Once you are granted services, SARC will send your Faculty Notification Letter (FNL). The FNL will be sent to your WKU topper email address. You will be provided with a Faculty Notification Letter for each semester, which you must then provide to your instructors.

Arrange a time to meet with your faculty to provide them a copy of the FNL. Take this time to also discuss your needs in the class and familiarize yourself with the course requirements. Return a signed copy of the FNLs to the SARC office.


More Information  More Information for Registering Students

The Student Accessibility Resource Center (SARC) coordinates services for qualified students with permanent disabilities in order to provide equal access to WKU’s programs and resources. Before SARC is able to initiate accommodations for a student with a disability, that student must self-identify as an individual with a disability and fully complete the intake process. 

According to section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 and Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, an individual is considered disabled when 1) a physical or mental impairment substantially limits one or more major life activities; or 2) has a record of such impairment; or 3) is regarded as having such impairment.

Students requesting reasonable accommodations or services from SARC must register with the office and provide documenting paperwork to verify eligibility according to Section 504 of Rehabilitation Act of 1973, Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, and SARC’s guidelines.


Students must be diagnosed by a licensed medical professional. Depending on the disability, that professional may be a private psychologist, psychiatrist, primary care physician, or specialist.

If you are recipient of Vocational Rehabilitation (VR), contact the VR counselor for evaluation resources.

Students may also contact Dr. Rick Grieve at 270-745-4417 to be tested at the WKU Psychology Training Clinic on campus.



Interactive Process

As a WKU student, it is in your best interest to engage in an interactive process with the Student Accessibility Resource Center to determine suitable courses of action. The interactive process is both deliberative and collaborative and is designed to endorse your disability and your request for services. Various factors are considered once services have been requested. Upon providing services, there will be responsibilities for both you and the SARC office to fulfill. Refer to the Interactive Process for further details.


Connect with Faculty

The instructor is a valuable resource in any classroom dynamic, but especially yours. Their cooperation may be necessary for various reasons throughout your experience with SARC. Foremost, you will be provided with a Faculty Notification Letter (FNL) for each of your classes, which you must then provide to your instructors and return a signed copy to the SARC office. 

You may also need to collaborate with instructors when arranging accommodated exams. They can also assist you by suggesting a potential notetaker in your class, providing information about student activities, explaining the experience of studying abroad, vouching as a recommendation, and more. Get connected.


Meet with the SARC Coordinator

At least once a semester, contact the SARC Coordinator to discuss the effectiveness of your services, accommodations and/or modifications. As a freshman, if your grades are not at their best when your 5th week course assessments come out, consider contacting the SARC Coordinator to review your accommodations and services.

You can also be preparing for your classes next semester, as well as the necessary accommodations. This will be the time to ask any questions or address any concerns you may have


Contact the SARC Office

Student Accessibility Resource Center
Downing Student Union, Rm. 1074
Phone: 270-745-5004     Fax: 270-745-6289
TTY: 270-745-3030      Video: 270-288-0597


WKU is committed to providing equal access for students with disabilities. The university has a responsibility to monitor and address ADA compliance concerns. The grievance process will provide for a prompt and impartial resolution and students seeking to lodge a complaint should contact the Student ADA Compliance Officer.

The Director of the Student Accessibility Resource Center and the Center for Career and Professional Development has been designated to serve as the Student ADA Compliance Officer, and will oversee student ADA compliance efforts.

Robert Unseld
Student ADA Compliance Officer
DSU, Rm. 2001

Refer to the Student Grievance Procedure for further details on this appellate process.



To request any forms, documents, or information in an alternative format, please contact the Student Accessibility Resource Center at 270-745-5004 or via email at

Note: documents in Portable Document Format (PDF) require Adobe Acrobat Reader 5.0 or higher to view,
download Adobe Acrobat Reader.

Note: documents in Excel format (XLS) require Microsoft Viewer,
download excel.

Note: documents in Word format (DOC) require Microsoft Viewer,
download word.

Note: documents in Powerpoint format (PPT) require Microsoft Viewer,
download powerpoint.

Note: documents in Quicktime Movie format [MOV] require Apple Quicktime,
download quicktime.

 Last Modified 3/7/18