Student Information about the Faculty Notification Letter (FNL)
This information will familiarize WKU students with the FNL provided by the Student Accessibility Resource Center (SARC).
If you have any suggestions for this page, feel free to send them to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The FNL is used by a student, at their discretion, to communicate their need for accommodation to WKU faculty and staff. Be sure to read over it thoroughly. These letters are NOT retroactive. These letters do not go into effect until they are signed by all parties and returned to the SARC.
If you are allotted academic accommodations when your case is processed, access to the Faculty Notification Letter (FNL) will be sent to your TopperMail. You should keep a copy of this document for use each semester. The link to the FNL document expires 30 days after the email is sent. If you need a new one, please contact the office immediately.
We advise you to meet with your professor as early in the semester as possible to complete the FNL. You may need to discuss your accommodations with your professor. A complete FNL will need to be returned to the SARC. This can be done in person, via email, or by FAX.
If it is believed, by the student or faculty, that alterations need to be made to the accommodations listed therein, the Student Accessibility Resource Center should be contacted immediately in writing. If an accommodation is deemed not applicable or is otherwise not provided to the student, the SARC should be notified of such alterations. The SARC will review and determine if revisions are appropriate.
If there are any questions or concerns, please contact the SARC at 270-745-5004 or email@example.com.
Option 1: Meet with the Professor
- You will need a print out of your FNL.
- Set up an appointment to meet with the faculty/staff member, so that you can deliver the FNL. After they read it, they can sign it, take a copy, and return it to you. You can also approach them before/after class, but they may ask you to come to their office hours or schedule an appointment.
- With the information in the FNL, inform the faculty member of your needs. If any alterations are made to the accommodations outlined on your FNL, please notify the SARC.
- A complete and signed copy of this FNL must be on file at the SARC. The FNL can be hand-delivered to DSU 1074 or scanned and emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Option 2: Correspond with the Professor
- You will need a PDF of your FNL.
- Attach it to an email addressing your professor. Ask your professor to review the FNL. Use an appropriate subject in the subject line, such as the course name or ID. You are also encouraged to copy (cc) email@example.com to this email.
- If needed, correspond with your professor. If any alterations are made to the accommodations outlined on your FNL, please notify the SARC.
- The professor should respond, from their WKU email, to both the student and the SARC with a statement of acknowledgement. The SARC must have some form of acknowledgment from the professor on file. Please, send all emails of this nature to firstname.lastname@example.org.