Council on Postsecondary Education (CPE)
The Council on Postsecondary Education (CPE) coordinates change and improvement in Kentucky's postsecondary education system as directed by the Kentucky Postsecondary Education Improvement Act of 1997. The Council has multiple responsibilities to ensure a well-coordinated and efficient postsecondary and adult education system. Among its many responsibilities, the Council:
- Develops and implements a strategic agenda for the postsecondary and adult education system that will guide efforts in the areas of college readiness; student success; research, economic and community development; and efficiency and innovation.
- Produces and submits a biennial budget request for adequate public funding of postsecondary education.
- Monitors and approves tuition rates and admission criteria at public postsecondary institutions.
- Defines and approves all academic programs at public institutions.
- Ensures the coordination and connectivity of technology among public institutions.
- Implements a statewide diversity policy that is aligned with the strategic agenda.
- Works with campuses to improve the transferability of credits among public two-year and four-year institutions
- Collects and distributes comprehensive data about postsecondary education performance.
The duties of the Council on Postsecondary Education are outlined in the Kentucky Postsecondary Education Improvement Act of 1997, Section 74 through 84 (36K DOC).