Facebook Pixel Articulation | Western Kentucky University Skip to main content

Articulation Agreements

WKU seeks to develop and maintain active, high-quality, mutually beneficial partnerships with colleges and universities throughout the U.S.. International agreements are developed in collaboration with Global Learning and International Affairs (GLIA). One important way of doing this is by forming articulation agreements, officially approved agreements that match coursework between schools
and so help students make a smooth transition from another institution into WKU.  To view the policy for Academic Articulation Agreements, visit the Academic Affairs Policy website (Academic Affairs Policies - WKU Policies | Western Kentucky University) and reference policy number 1.4121. 

Articulation agreements detail the articulation of courses or programs between WKU and another institution for the purpose of awarding credit and/or educational program completion credentials. 

Searching for existing MOAs/MOUs

The current WKU articulation agreements are housed in a database, and available for review at: https://apps.wku.edu/moa/
A WKU NetID username and password are necessary to access the database information. 

Steps for Creating an Articulation Agreement

  1. A department head considering an articulation agreement should first review the MOA Database to determine if an articulation agreement with the institution is already in place. If so, the department head should work with the Provost (or designee) to determine if there is a programmatic alignment in place for the pertinent course of study (a standard format has been developed to facilitate modifications). If there is 
    no general agreement in place, then the Provost (or designee) should be asked to research the possibility of executing such an agreement, to which a programmatic alignment may subsequently be appended. Once the appropriate course of action has been determined, the department head should contact the dean and/or chair of the department at the proposed partner institution to start the inquiry process. The Provost (or designee) will work with the program, college and other offices on campus to develop the agreement (for example: Admissions, Registrar’s Office, Transfer representative, etc.).

  2. Once a contact person at the proposed partner institution has been identified and a mutual interest in a programmatic alignment established, a course-by-course review of each department’s requirements should be undertaken. Agreements with two-year institutions should ideally accept approximately 60 credit hours of courses from an Associate degree program into a WKU baccalaureate program. If appropriate, a meeting may be scheduled between the partnering institution and WKU representatives in a particular unit. The Provost (or designee) can assist in arranging that meeting. MOAs from the current database may be used as templates for the new agreement.

  3. Once a draft of the proposed programmatic alignment has been completed, it should be sent to the Provost (or designee), who will review the proposed alignment and either contact the proposing unit with suggested revisions or finalize the agreement for signing. If deemed appropriate, the Provost (or designee) can arrange a formal signing ceremony with a press release. Send MOAs/MOUs to Dr. Beth Laves (beth.laves@wku.edu) for a review prior to the Provost's signature.

  4. One original signed agreement is retained by the partner institution and one is retained by the Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs. Scanned copies will be sent by the Office of the Provost to pertinent department/college, Admissions, Information Technology, Registrar, etc., offices

International Agreements

Agreements involving an international partner should be drafted in consultation with Global Learning & International Affairs (GLIA). In addition, proponents should view the Developing and Maintaining International Exchange and Cooperative agreements (Policy 0.1013) on the University policies website and contact GLIA to learn more about creating international agreements.

Joint or Dual Academic Award Agreements
 Joint and Dual Academic Award agreements require specific reporting to the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC). Refer to JointDualAwards.pdf (sacscoc.org) for policy information to help guide the process. 

WKU Resources for Writing Agreements

Legal Considerations
General Counsel | Western Kentucky University (wku.edu)

International Agreements
International Agreements | Western Kentucky University (wku.edu)

SACSCOC Substantive Changes | Western Kentucky University (wku.edu)

Some of the links on this page may require additional software to view.

 Last Modified 5/2/23