Academic Space Management
The Office of Academic Affairs allocates and utilizes physical space in university academic buildings in order to fulfill its teaching, research, service, and administrative missions in the most effective and efficient manner possible. At various times, space may be assigned/reassigned to different units, and/or modified/renovated to better align the functionality of the space with changing needs, technologies, and best practices.
Space is assigned with the goal of ensuring adequate and suitable square footage to enable the unit to carry out its mission effectively and efficiently, including allowing for the professional development and productivity of tenure-track faculty. The following priority order is used in determining the square footage needed by and assigned to a unit:
- Full-time faculty and staff offices
- Administrative support areas, including central offices, workroom, and conference room
- Specialized laboratory, studio, or clinical space necessary for teaching, research and creative activity, and service (shared within the unit to the extent possible)
- Part-time faculty and staff offices, including transitional retirees and emeriti who continue to teach (shared within the unit to the extent possible)
- Graduate assistant offices (with highest priority given to graduate teaching assistants, and shared within the unit to the extent possible)
- Student and faculty work, study, or club/social space
A unit may request changes to its allocable space, including increase in assigned space, reduction in assigned space, or lateral transfer of assigned space. Such requests may emanate from the known or anticipated availability of Divisional space or de novo based on the changing needs of the unit. Requests should be submitted to the Office of Academic Affairs for consideration.
A unit requesting changes to assigned space should complete and electronically submit the Request for Changes to Assigned Space form available here.
Classroom space is dynamically-assigned to units (typically term-by-term) based on requests made through the Ad Astra Scheduling System for classes and events, using established criteria for prioritization and approval. Please refer to the scheduling page for additional information.
Current/Anticipated Available Space
Some of the links on this page may require additional software to view.