Facebook Pixel F-1 Student Employment | Western Kentucky University


Skip to main content


While you are studying in the United States, you may be interested in working. You may want to work to gain experience in your field of study or simply to make some money. As an F-1 student, you may be eligible to work both on and off-campus. You will need to obtain authorization before beginning work. You must also follow the rules and restrictions that apply to your type of employment.

It is a serious violation of your F-1 status to work without authorization. Failure to follow federal regulations regarding employment could affect your status. Contact the International Student Scholar Services if you have questions.


Employment Options for F-1 Students

On-Campus Employment

On-campus employment is a job on the WKU campus where you are paid by the University. F-1 students are often employed in student hourly positions or assistantships. 



Curricular Practical Training 

Curricular Practical Training (CPT) is work that’s integral to your academic program, usually performed off-campus and in your field of study while you are still enrolled as a student. 



Optional Practical Training 

Optional Practical Training (OPT) is work done for an employer in your field of study, usually following graduation. This authorization is granted by U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). 


iStart Icon

Applying for a Visa                                               


Curricular Practical Training (CPT)                    

On-Campus Employment                                   

Optional Practical Training (OPT)                      

OPT STEM Extension                                           

Full-Time Enrollment                                           

Full-Time Enrollment Exceptions                       

Complete Withdrawal and Leaves of Absence

Maintaining Status                                               

SEVIS Violations                                                    

Dependents of F-1 Students                               

After Completion of Program                             

I-20 Extensions                                                      

Local Address                                                         

SEVIS Fee                                                                 

F-1 SEVIS Transfer from WKU                              

Travel Outside of the U.S.                                    

Some of the links on this page may require additional software to view.

 Last Modified 8/13/19