Facebook Pixel I-20 Extensions | Western Kentucky University


Skip to main content

I-20 Extensions

I-20 Extensions

You should never let your I-20 expire if you are in the middle of your program of study. U.S. immigration regulations require that I-20s remain valid during the course of study. If you will not complete your academic program by the program end date on your I-20, you must request an extension of the I-20 BEFORE it expires.

You are eligible for a program extension if

  • Your I-20 has not yet expired.
  • You have maintained lawful F-1 status.
  • The delay in completion of your program of study was caused by a compelling academic or medical reason.

If you are starting a new program of study or changing your academic level, you do not need to request an extension. You will receive a new I-20 once your admission to the new program is processed and you submit your financial documentation.

How to Request an I-20 Extension

  • Meet with your academic advisor to go over your degree progress and your academic plan. Your academic advisor will help you decide how many more semesters you will need to complete your program.
  • Submit the Extension of I-20 Document e-form in iStart. You will be required to provide the name and email address of your academic advisor. The form will then be sent to your advisor by email.
  • Once your advisor completes the advisor form, the International Student Office will be able to process your request. You will be notified once the request is processed and/or if any additional information is required.






Some of the links on this page may require additional software to view.

 Last Modified 9/5/18