Facebook Pixel Dependents Of F-1 Students | Western Kentucky University


Skip to main content

Dependents Of F-1 Students

Dependents of F-1 Students

Many F-1 students come to the United States with their families or may get married while they are in F-1 status.

The F-2 visa is for a dependent spouse or an unmarried child who is under the age of 21. F-2 status enables dependents to stay in the United States during the F-1 student’s program.

Funding Documentation

F-1 students must provide documentation of financial support to fund their dependents in F-2 status. You should be prepared to document $5000 for the first dependent and $2000 for each additional dependent.

Requesting F-2 Dependent I-20s

Dependent I-20 documents can be requested as part of the admissions process. If you plan to bring your family with you at the beginning of your studies or after you have already begun your studies, you will need to submit your dependent’s information through the “Add a New Dependent” e-form on iStart. You will need to attach copies of new financial documentation and your dependent’s passport ID page.

Once this is received by ISO, we will begin processing your request for documents and notify you when they are ready for pickup.

Other information for F-2 Dependents

Travel Outside the United States

F-2 Dependents should follow the same guidelines for travel as F-1 dependents.

See F-1 Travel Guidance

Schools for Children

School-age children (up to age 18) can study in primary  and high school in the United States.  In the U.S., public schools that children attend are based on the school district where they reside.  Before you decide where to live, we recommend that you verify the school district, research its educational programs, and consider whether you will send your child to public or private school.   

Work Authorization

F-2 Dependents are not eligible to work in the United States.

Dependent Remaining Here While F-1 Travels

An F-1 student must maintain his or her status in order for the F-2 dependent to stay in the United States.

If the F-1 student is out of the country for a significant period of time, this might affect the F-2’s ability to remain in the United States. Contact us for help with your specific situation.






Some of the links on this page may require additional software to view.

 Last Modified 9/5/18