WKU International Pathway to Academic Success (IPAS)
Along with our traditional programs of study, WKU also offers an International Pathway to Academic Success (IPAS). The IPAS program is designed to facilitate international student success in several ways: exclusive courses designed for first-year international students, dedicated faculty with a commitment to international student learning, co-curricular support such as tutoring and academic workshops, and enrichment experiences to introduce students to life and study in the United States. IPAS participation is offered at no additional cost, and all courses will count toward a WKU degree for full academic credit. Enrollment in IPAS will last for one or two semesters depending on the academic needs of each student.
As an IPAS student, you will benefit from:
- No delay in graduation - students enrolled in the IPAS are full-time students who earn a full year’s worth of academic credit towards their desired undergraduate degree
- Smaller classes – the low student-to-faculty ratio facilitates substantial interaction
- Exclusive courses – the unique IPAS course programming provides both English language and academic skills support while fulfilling general educational requirements
- Dedicated faculty – IPAS courses are taught by WKU faculty with expertise in their content area, commitment to student learning and interest in working with international students
- Extensive academic advising and student support – in addition to the academic and student support (e.g., academic advising, free tutoring, and career coaching) provided to all WKU students, IPAS students receive personalized support from a dedicated IPAS advisor
- Enrichment experiences – academic, linguistic, and cultural events and activities are provided to enrich and complement learning and student life at WKU
The IPAS is a multicultural college experience that embraces global perspectives and prepares students to achieve their academic goals and successfully graduate from WKU!
FAQs about WKU IPAS
Smaller class sizes contribute your success.
WKU IPAS was built to ensure unique programming and support mechanisms so that students obtain the necessary academic skills for future success. A huge part of this is the low student-to-faculty ratio which facilitates substantial student-faculty interaction.
Should you be admitted to the program, you will be in classes with other international students. These classes are taught by WKU faculty members who are selected based on their experience and interest in working with international students.
Required English Proficiency
IELTS: 5.5 or TOEFL (IBT): 61 or PTEA: 45 or Duolingo: 90
2.25 (4.0 scale)
If you have questions about your eligibility, feel free to email us directly at email@example.com.
No delay in graduation!
Students are enrolled full-time and earn academic credit toward their desired degree while fulfilling general education requirements. Students who successfully complete the WKU IPAS program will be eligible for admission to non-IPAS WKU courses.
Program participation lasts one to two semesters depending on the academic needs of each student.
In order to successfully complete the IPAS Program, students must:
- Earn a minimum 2.0 cumulative GPA over the course of the program
- Earn a minimum 2.0 GPA for each of the two terms in the program
- Earn 24 credit hours
WKU IPAS program operates on a rolling admission.
This means you may start the program in the Fall or Spring.
WKU IPAS does not have any additional associated fees.
There are no additional costs outside of international student tuition and fees. Learn more about international student cost of attendance HERE.
Due to COVID-19, all spring 2021 IPAS courses will be made available in an online format for students unable to travel to the US.
12 hours per term is required.
Pathways students must be enrolled with a full-time course load.
WKU IPAS is an undergraduate program.
At this time, there is not a graduate option.
Learn more about what this means for WKU international students HERE.
The safety and health of the WKU community is a top priority during this time. View the university's operations for health and safety HERE.