There are three academic tracks within the Mahurin Honors College: Non-Thesis track, Capstone Experience/Thesis (CE/T) track and the 18-hour Honors in the Major track.
Scholars who complete one of these tracks and graduate with a minimum 3.2 GPA are designated as “Mahurin Honors College” or “Honors in the Major” graduates on their final transcripts. Graduates receive distinctive medallions to be worn at Commencement.
Scholars may change from thesis track to non-thesis, or vice versa, through their MHC advisor.
Curriculum for scholars who enrolled in The MHC
as freshmen in Fall 2018 or later:
Non-thesis is the default track for scholars beginning in Fall 2020 and after
Thesis is the default track for scholars
- Colloquium or Internship may be replaced with a 3-hour honors elective in any level/major.
- Proposal Writing Course may be replaced with a 1-hour honors elective in any level/major.
Curriculum for scholars who enrolled in The MHC as freshmen before Fall 2018:
- Honors Upper Division must include 3 hours of honors coursework in the major.
- Scholars under the 33-hour curriculum may be eligible to change their catalog year to switch to the 28-hour curriculum, depending on how it affects their major(s)/minor(s).
For Non-Thesis Track:
- Capstone/Thesis Courses may be replaced by an additional 6 hours of honors upper-division coursework in major.
Honors in the Major:
The Honors in the Major curriculum can be found here.