Can I earn Honors credit while studying abroad?
Yes! Although Honors Credit is not guaranteed, if you study abroad with a WKU-approved program for a semester or more, you may apply for Honors credit for select courses. If your study abroad course is during a winter or summer term, and is taught by a WKU faculty member, an Honors Augmentation Contract may be an option.
How much Honors credit can I earn while studying abroad?
- If you study abroad for a semester, you can earn three credit hours for honors credit.
- If you are studying abroad in a non-English speaking institution and have high enough
proficiency in the local language to be able to take content courses (journalism,
business, literature, etc.) in the local language, you can select six credit hours
for honors credit per semester.
- Note: Beginning and Intermediate language instruction do not qualify.
- If you study at Harlaxton College and enroll in the honors section of British Studies, you are eligible for six hours of honors credit. Three of those hours will be associated HIST 324, but you may select the second course to bring in for honors.
Please discuss which course(s) you want to count as Honors credit with the Honors College Academic Advisor well in advance of departing for your program.
What else do I need to do to earn honors credit through study abroad?
- Once WKU has received and articulated transcripts from coursework abroad, the next step is the complete the Study Abroad Credit Form (below). Students are encouraged to complete the form within a semester of the study abroad experience.
- Only courses with grades of “A” or “B” are eligible to be considered for honors credit.
- Students who participate in multiple study abroad programs are eligible to earn up to 12 hours of honors credits.
- Applications are reviewed by the Assistant Director of Academics. Appeals should be directed to the Honors Development Board at email@example.com.
Submit Study Abroad Credit Form
Some of the links on this page may require additional software to view.