Honors Travel Abroad Grant (HTAG)
Honors Travel Abroad Grants (HTAG) support MHC scholars' intellectual development by encouraging and financially supporting participation in study abroad programs (i.e., credit-bearing educational programs in other countries). For a program to be eligible for funding, it must be approved by WKU’s Office of Global Learning and International Affairs (GLIA).
Who is eligible to receive an HTAG
Current MHC scholars who are good standing and are making satisfactory progress in the MHC curriculum are eligible to apply after they have submitted their study abroad application through GLIA.
How are HTAGs chosen for funding?
HTAGs are competitive awards based on the quality of the application and the following criteria:
- length of the program
- financial need
- connection with MHC priorities (research, internship, language acquisition, authentic engagement with the host community)
- the strength of the essay expressing how this program is related to academic and personal goals and growth
- evidence that the applicant has sought other sources of funding
- available funds
How much money can applicants expect from an HTAG?
The maximum amount awarded through an HTAG is based on the program duration and number of credit hours to be earned.
Maximum Funding Amounts:
- Programs of 3-6 credits: $1000
- Programs of 7-11 credits: $1500
- Programs of 12-21 credits: $2000
- Programs of 22 or more credits: $4000
Scholars are encouraged to seek other sources of funding for their study abroad course, such as the WorldTopper Scholarship (sponsored by the Study Abroad Office), their home department and college, Phi Kappa Phi, Golden Key, and Phi Eta Sigma. Additionally, the Office of Scholar Development mentors students applying for nationally competitive scholarships for study abroad. Scholars eligible for the Gilman Scholarship, Fund for Education Abroad, or Freeman-ASIA are encouraged to connect with OSD to prepare strong applications.
When are HTAG applications due?
The Honors Development Board will review applications monthly between the priority deadline below and November 1 (fall semester)/April 1 (spring semester), as funding allows. Only applications with specific and concrete program details will be considered.
- October 1: winter and spring programs
- February 15: summer programs
- March 1: fall and full academic year programs
Applications received after these dates will be reviewed as funding allows.
When will I know if I have received an HTAG?
Applicants are notified of awards by email within a month of the application deadline.
For more information, please email email@example.com.