Application Process for VAMPY
In order to apply for VAMPY, students must:
- Be completing grade 7, 8, 9 or 10 in the 2018-2019 school year.
- Have earned qualifying SAT or ACT scores as a 7th grader (or adjusted scores for older students) for the specific course they request. Score reports must accompany the application.
- The course list contains the score requirement(s) for each class. The requirements vary not by score but by what test section qualifies – for instance, a computer science course might only consider the student’s math score, but a history class might consider a score on any test section. In 2018, for 7th graders, the qualifying scores were as follows:
SAT-M≥520, SAT-CR≥510, S AT-W≥500
ACT-M≥20, ACT-ENG≥20, ACT-S≥21, ACT-R≥21
- If your child does not meet the above requirements but you believe VAMPY is the right opportunity for your child, or if you have any questions about eligibility, please call us at (270) 745-6323 and we would be happy to talk with you.
Application Submission (applications available in late winter)
- The application must be completed and signed by the student and by the parent or guardian.
- A photocopy of the student’s SAT or ACT report must be submitted with the application.
- A deposit of $300 must be included with the completed application. Make checks payable to The Center for Gifted Studies. Visa, MasterCard, and Discover are accepted with a 2% convenience fee at wku.edu/gifted/payment. This deposit will not be refunded once the student has been accepted.
- Qualified participants will be accepted in the order applications are received, according to class preference.
The basic registration fee of $3,100 includes room and board, the instructional program, books, and most activities outside of class. Please see the class descriptions for any additional fee. A deposit of $300 must be included with the completed application (see above), and the balance of the registration fee will be due on or before June 1, 2019.
Limited financial assistance is available to students on the basis of need; applications are available upon request by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. Information about some of the funding we offer can be found here. We also encourage you to visit the KAGE Foundation for more information on need-based assistance for gifted summer programs in Kentucky, and to inquire with your local school system, nonprofit organizations, and businesses about available funding. VAMPY applications must be submitted prior to applying for financial assistance.
The application deadline is May 1.
Course Selection and Assignment
Students enroll in one class from the class choices for the year. Because class sizes are capped, students are placed in courses on a first-come, first-served basis.