July 8 - 12, 2024
Make sure to join our Monthly Update email list to keep up with all future happenings at The Center.
"Every time we picked him up, he said, 'I had the best awesome day ever!' I'm glad
he's learning and hanging out with kids like him."
— Michael Timmer, parent of Michael Timmer II
"Thank you for this program; my daughter loved it, and I was glad she was still able to do an enrichment program in a very atypical
— Julia Toy, parent of Eleanor Toy
The Center for Gifted Studies’ Camp Explore is a one-week day camp designed for students
with advanced ability and high interest who were in grades one, two or three during
the previous school year.
- The experience features minds-on, hands-on instruction to engage children in learning at advanced levels. Throughout the week, teachers experienced in gifted education guide the students in learning that is differentiated for their particular needs and advanced levels.
- The camp’s approach is interdisciplinary: students study a single big idea across a variety of disciplines like language arts, math, science, social studies, theater, and art. The big idea, such as “change” and “patterns,” alters each year.
- The minds-on, hands-on activities can include such projects as building anemometers, creating origami, reading and writing about about innovators, and doing geometric puzzles.
- Registration is limited to 50 children.
Camp Explore meets in Gary A. Ransdell Hall on the campus of Western Kentucky University. Ransdell Hall is the home of the College of Education and Behavioral Sciences. It is located at the corner of Regents Street and Normal Drive.
Children bring their lunches. Teachers and children eat together either in the building or on the patio, depending on the weather.
For articles on and photos of past camps, please search for Camp Explore on The Center's
blog, Happenings at The Center for Gifted Studies.
- Students must be completing 1st - 3rd grade, show high interest and ability, and be recommended by an educator.
- Tuition is $350.
- Tuition is due with completed application.
- Needs-based financial assistance is available.
- 9:00 am - 2:00 pm (CDT) daily