Application Process for SCATS
In order to apply for SCATS, students must:
- Be nominated by a teacher, a counselor, or a principal.
- Be completing grade 6, 7, or 8.
- Show high interest/achievement in one or more content areas.
In addition, students must:
- Be eligible for services as a gifted child OR
- Have an IQ score of 125 or above OR
- Have a score at or above the 90th percentile on the total battery OR
- Have a score at or above the 95th percentile on the total mathematics or language arts/reading section of the most recent achievement test OR
- Have scored at the distinguished level on performance assessment measures
If your child does not meet the above requirements but you believe SCATS is the right opportunity for your child, or if you have any questions about eligibility, please call us at (270) 745-6323 and we would be happy to talk with you.
Application Submission (applications available in spring)
- The application must be completed and signed by the student, parent or guardian, and the nominating school official.
- A deposit of $300 must be included with the completed application. Make checks payable to The Center for Gifted Studies. Visa, MasterCard, and Discover are accepted with a 2% convenience fee at wku.edu/gifted/payment. This deposit will not be refunded once the student has been accepted.
- Enrollment for residential students is limited to 200; the number of nonresidential students is 30. Applications will be accepted in the order they are received.
- Accepted students will be sent a list of courses and a course list selection form approximately two weeks prior to the start of camp.
- Campers will rank their top ten classes and return their form.
- Students will be placed into four of their top choices. They will receive their schedule of classes, times, and locations upon arrival at SCATS.
The cost for residential campers is $2,100. This amount includes all costs except spending money. Tuition for nonresidential campers is $1,050 which includes classes, weekday lunches, and the dinner and dance on the last Thursday evening. A deposit of $300 must be included with the completed application (see above). The deposit will not be refunded after the student has been accepted to SCATS.
Checks are to be made payable to The Center for Gifted Studies. Visa, Discover, and MasterCard are accepted at wku.edu/gifted/ payment with a 2% convenience fee.
The balance of the tuition is due on or before May 30.
Limited financial assistance is available to students on the basis of need; applications are available upon request by emailing email@example.com. Information about some of the funding we offer can be found here. We also encourage you to visit the KAGE Foundation for more information on need-based assistance for gifted summer programs in Kentucky, and to inquire with your local school system, nonprofit organizations, and businesses about available funding. SCATS applications must be submitted prior to applying for financial assistance.