Time: All Day
Location: Great Smoky Mountain National Park
Cost: $75 Student | $85 Guest
Depart: Thursday, October 10 @ 8:00 am
Return: Sunday, October 13 @ 5:00 pm
Drive time: 5 hours
Pre-trip meeting: Tuesday, October 8 @ 8:00 PM
As the most biodiverse park of all the national parks in the US, Great Smoky Mountain National Park is home to an extremely wide variety of plants and animals. With over 800 square miles of land in the Appalachian Mountains, the Smokies are famously covered in trees whose colors change dramatically with the changing of the seasons. Come with us to see the wide variety of trees and colors that cover the mountains of Tennessee and North Carolina in the fall!
Included in your fee is the cost for covering all camping gear needed, with the exception of food. We will be camping at Cades Cove, an isolated valley located in the Tennessee section of the park. All you need to bring is your cozy fall clothes and your toothbrush! (Well, maybe a couple more things than that)
- Wake up and drive to Great Smoky Mountain National Park
- Visit our campsite in Cades Cove to set up our basecamp
- Hike Gregory Bald
- Take awesome photos for Instagram
- Head back to camp to relax
- Go to sleep by all the pretty trees!
- Wake up in the Smoky's
- Get ready to hike to Charlies Bunion!!
- Relax at the end of the trail to enjoy lunch with a view
- Head back to the van
- Explore one of the visitor centers
- Enjoy downtime at camp
- Catch the sunset at Clingmans Dome (6,643 ft.)
- Get a great night sleep
- Wake up in the Smoky's (again...)
- Hike to Chimney Tops
- Enjoy the views
- Hike to Middle Prong waterfall
- Enjoy lunch along the way
- Stop by the "sinks" before heading to camp
- Enjoy s'mores over a warm fire
- Last day in the Smoky's!
- Enjoy one last short hike
- Head to Gatlinburg to explore the town
- Stop for lunch
- Head back to campus
*All trips are subject to change due to weather, permitting and staffing
Sign up & attend this trip to receive a special discount to College Outside
REGISTER ONLINE TODAY!
Follow the instructions below
1. Go to https://online.spectrumng.net/wku (it will open a new window!)
2. Click "Do not have login" (you will need to make an account!)
3. Enter your 800# (or 500# if a Preston Only Member) for the Member Number (even if you do not have a current membership!)
4. Choose a username and password for your online account with us.
5. Once you have an account set up, click the Home Icon in the top left (the picture, not the actual home letters)
6. Click on Program Registration in the middle of the page!
7. Select ‘ORAC’
8. Select the trip or skill clinic you want!
9. Add to Cart
10. Continue to Cart
11. This should take you to the Payment Summary Screen. Enter your payment info and hit Submit Payment.
12. BAMM You're registered for a trip
- All Categories
- Campus Events
- Athletic Events
- WKU Ag Expo Center Events
- Board of Regents
- WKU Restaurant and Catering Group
- Student Activities / Organizations
- Summer Camp
- Van Meter Auditorium
- Elizabethtown - Fort Knox Campus
- Glasgow Campus
- Owensboro Campus
- WKU Off Campus Events
- Cultural Enhancement
Note: documents in Portable Document Format (PDF) require Adobe Acrobat Reader 5.0 or higher to view,
download Adobe Acrobat Reader.
Note: documents in Quicktime Movie format [MOV] require Apple Quicktime,