Skip to main content
Skip to main content

WKU Online

Distance learning offers flexibility

Applying to WKU as a Distance Learner

All degree seeking students follow the same admissions process, regardless of campus location. However, as an adult learner, you may need to navigate things in a different way sometimes.

The most common concerns we see include:

  • The ACT vs. the SAT vs. the ACCUPLACER: What do you need to get admitted? 
  • Transfer credits that aren't listed in the transfer tool - what to do to maximize the number of credits you're transferring to WKU
  • GPA concerns: A high school GPA that doesn't meet the minimum requirements (2.5 on a 4.0 scale) is not a predictor of the type of student you will be as an adult, nor should it keep you from achieving your goal of returning to school - what to do to address these concerns up front and and still have your application considered. 

This page is dedicated to helping you navigate these things and more!  You're an important part of the University and we want to make the admissions process as seamless as possible for you!  If you have encountered a situation not listed below, please contact us at or call 270-745-5173 - we'll help you find the answer!

Student Classification, The Admissions Process & How It Applies To You

Your student classification is the first step in determining the types of supporting materials you will need to submit with your admission application.

Finding Your Classification
Beginning Freshman (0 to <24 college credits)
If you have never attended college before or if you have less than 24 credit hours earned, you will be classified as a beginning freshman. The following records are required to complete your admission application: You will need to submit an official high school transcript and ACT or SAT scores. Students over 21 years of age may take the ACCUPLACER in lieu of the ACT exam.To schedule an ACCUPLACER exam 1. Select your location: You may select any WKU campus site, a location from the list of pre-approved proctor sites in Kentucky, or visit the NCTA website for approved locations. 2. Contact the Testing Center of your choice to verify available dates/times to take the exam and schedule a time most convenient for you. 3. Contact Jan Duvall at the Alice Rowe Learning Assistance Center by emailing or calling 270-780-2536. Tell her you would like to take the ACCUPLACER. Please have your student ID and time/date/location of the exam available when you call/email. Jan will then send the exam code to that testing center.
Readmit Student
If you previously attended WKU and have not attended for two or more semesters and wish to return, no additional records are needed - simply apply for readmission at
Transfer Student
If you have attended one or more colleges since high school graduation, but have not attended WKU, you will submit an official transcript from each college attended. Students with fewer than 24 credit hours earned must also submit ACT/SAT scores.
Visiting Student
If you're seeking a degree from another college and wish to attend WKU for one term only, you should apply as a visiting student.You will need to submit a letter of good standing from your home institution, which can be provided by your registrar.
Graduate Student
Admission to graduate school requires a minimum of a bachelor's degree. Additional materials, including a graduate school admissions application, are required. Some programs may also require a GRE, GMAT or other entrance exam. For additional information regarding WKU Graduate School admission criteria, please click here. Students should also consult with the graduate advisor for the intended program, as often times, graduate programs require supplemental information.
Admission Requirements & Appeals for Undergraduate Students
Where do I access the online admissions application?
The admission application for graduate and undergraduate programs can be accessed at
My income makes it difficult for me to pay the application fee. Is it possible to have it waived?
Yes, undergraduate students meeting certain criteria may have their application fee waived. Please fill out your online application and complete the questions regarding state/federal assistance. If approved for a fee waiver, supporting documentation is required.
My high school GPA doesn't meet the minimum required for admission, but that was a long time ago. Can an exception be granted?
Yes, absolutely! If your high school GPA is below 2.5 (4.0 scale), please write a letter of appeal following completion of your application. Simply email and briefly explain why you feel that your high school GPA is not indicative of the type of student you will be. We understand that a lot of factors can change from high school to adulthood, including level of commitment to school. While approval of the appeal is not guaranteed, your chances of approval are good! Remember, if you have earned at least 24 college credit hours, your high school information is not required. No appeal is necessary.
As an adult learner, am I required to take the ACT/SAT for admission to WKU?
Students over the age of 21 who have never taken the ACT/SAT may choose to take the ACCUPLACER. While you do not have to complete the ACCUPLACER to be admitted to WKU, you are required to complete it prior to registering for any math or English course. There is no charge for taking the exam, if you are an admitted WKU student. Access more information, including free prep materials, through the Student Resource Portal at
I'm interested in transferring to WKU, but would like to see how my credits will transfer before I apply.
WKU provides an online transfer articulation tool that allows you to look up courses from your current or previous school(s) to see how they will count at WKU. If your previous school (or courses) aren't listed in the transfer tool database, that doesn't necessarily mean your credits will not count. It simply means that the credits you've earned have not yet been reviewed by WKU. In that case, we invite you to apply and send official transcripts for articulation.
I've applied as a transfer student, sent my official transcripts, but some of my courses didn't count or only came in as electives.
WKU accepts credit from other institutions if the institutions have met the accrediting standards of the appropriate regional accreditation association. If you attended a regionally accredited school and your credits are not counting as expected, you may petition for a course substitution. The petition process is simple. You will fill out a form at and work with the WKU department associated with the credit you've earned to determine the equivalent WKU course. In the case of your credits coming in as electives, if you feel the credits should be equivalent to a gen ed/Colonnade course or major course, you will work with the associated WKU department to determine the equivalency. For example, if you earned credit in World History and your class has transferred in as an elective, you will work with the WKU History Department to determine if the credits earned will meet Colonnade requirements. WKU Online is happy to walk you through the process if you have questions. Please don't hesitate to call 270-745-5173 or email
My previous school is not regionally accredited. Is there any possibility my credits will count toward a degree at WKU?
Yes, there is a possibility your credits will count. You may petition for recognition of previous credits from non-accredited schools by filling out out a form at and work with the WKU department associated with the credit you've earned to determine the WKU equivalency, if any.

Need help with the application process?  

We are happy to assist!

Click here to apply now!

Note: documents in Portable Document Format (PDF) require Adobe Acrobat Reader 5.0 or higher to view,
download Adobe Acrobat Reader.

Note: documents in Excel format (XLS) require Microsoft Viewer,
download excel.

Note: documents in Word format (DOC) require Microsoft Viewer,
download word.

Note: documents in Powerpoint format (PPT) require Microsoft Viewer,
download powerpoint.

Note: documents in Quicktime Movie format [MOV] require Apple Quicktime,
download quicktime.

 Last Modified 2/7/17