Today@WKU: January 31, 2019
- WKU News
- Thursday, January 31st, 2019
Welcome to Today@WKU, the daily newsletter from WKU Public Affairs, for January 31, 2019.
Wendy DeCroix (fourth from left) is known as the "office mom" to students in WKU's Department of Geography and Geology. Read more
- Student success rewarding for ‘office mom’: Wendy DeCroix is the Office Coordinator for the Department of Geography and Geology at WKU and has become known as the "office mom" to many of the department’s students. "Many of our students put a lot of pressure on themselves to be the best. Part of this includes maintaining multiple jobs on top of their classes and extracurricular activities," she said. "Watching them put on their cap and gown and knowing they’ve pulled through these challenges is one of the most rewarding aspects of my job. Even better is watching them soar in their careers and seeing them when they come back to WKU for a visit."
- WKU hosting preview days in February for Class of 2023: WKU’s academic colleges will be hosting preview days in February for admitted students in the Class of 2023. During the events, students and their families can learn more about campus life, academic programs, research opportunities, student organizations and more.
- WKU Public Radio Weekday Newscast Schedule: Tune into WKU Public Radio for national and international news from NPR, and local newscasts every half hour during Morning Edition (4-9 a.m. Central), and All Things Considered (3-6 p.m. Central), as well as local news features and interviews produced by the WKU news staff. WKU's Public Radio can be heard on WKYU-FM (88.9) in Bowling Green/Glasgow; WDCL-FM (89.7) in Somerset/Campbellsville; WKPB-FM (88.9) in Henderson/Owensboro; WKUE-FM (90.9) in Elizabethtown/Bardstown; and online at http://www.wkyufm.org/
- Men’s basketball: Hilltoppers Welcome League-Leading UTSA Tonight: WKU Hilltopper Basketball is back home for a pair of key games this week, starting against league-leading UTSA at 7 tonight in Diddle Arena. The game will stream on Stadium on Facebook.
- Women’s basketball: Lady Toppers Seek First Win at UTSA This Morning: Making its second two-game road trip of the C-USA season, WKU will look to accomplish something that it has not done since joining the league in 2014-15: earn a win at UTSA on its home court. The Lady Toppers are set to clash with the Roadrunners inside the UTSA Convocation Center today in a special 11 a.m. Education Day tipoff.
- Football: Garret Chachere Joins WKU as Running Backs Coach: First-year head football coach Tyson Helton has added an experienced presence to the running backs room as 27-year coaching veteran Garret Chachere was named the program's new running backs coach.
- Baseball: Countdown to First Pitch - 100 Days of Hilltopper History: As WKU prepares for the 100th Season of Hilltopper Baseball, WKU Athletics is treating fans to unique moments and interesting history from Hilltopper Baseball, leading up to First Pitch at Nick Denes Field on February 15. More: Fan voting open for All Century Team.
- Climbing to Greater Heights at WKU: WKU President Timothy C. Caboni spoke at the Bowling Green Rotary Club meeting Wednesday afternoon to discuss the university's 10-year strategic plan called "Climbing to Greater Heights." More: WKU President gives update to Bowling Green Rotary Club on future initiatives
More: Check out WKU in the News page.
- Upcoming WKU Alumni events: For a listing of Alumni events, visit the Alumni website and click on the Events Calendar. Or contact the WKU Alumni Association at 888-958-2586. For a list of Alumni news, visit the Alumni News page. More: Share your #RedTowelsAtWork photos; WKU Alumni Connection App; WKU SpiritFunder; Topper Travelers – Castles of the Rhine 2019
More: Visit the WKU Alumni website.
- #ClimbWithUs: The WKU Office of Admissions helps future Hilltoppers as they start their journey on The Hill. You can reach us by calling 270-745-2551, emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or connecting with us on social media. Schedule a tour. Visit https://www.wku.edu/admissions/counselors/ or call 270-745-2551 to get in touch with your WKU Admissions Counselor. Students can reserve their TOP date and take their placement exams at www.wku.edu/top
- #WKU2023: Attention high school seniors, WKU has opened the Fall 2019 application! Join the Hilltopper Family at http://wku.edu/apply. More: DiscoverWKU & Head for The Hill events
- Useful links for prospective/admitted students: Campus tours; Let’s Talk, Topper; Admissions Timeline; Topper Orientation Program; Scholarships; Housing; MASTER Plan
- Exhibits at Kentucky Museum: A Culture Carried: Bosnians in Bowling Green (through May 11); Highbrow; Even Coverlets Get the Blues (opens Feb. 1); Jacqui Lubbers: A Legacy in Weaving (opens Feb. 1); plus other gallery and on-campus exhibits. (Museum hours/visitor information) Call for Artists: US Bank Celebration of the Arts deadline for entries is Feb. 8. Contact Kentucky Museum, (270) 745-2592.
- Exhibits at Downing Museum: The Story of Joe Downing: Select Works From the Collection. Downing Museum, 4801 Morgantown Road. Contact Jack LeSieur, (270) 842-7415.
- International Year of Cuba: Various events during the 2018-19 academic year. Contact International Programs, (270) 745-5334.
- Art Exhibit: The Island of My Love: The Faces and Stories of Cuba. Through April 6. Ivan Wilson Fine Arts Center Gallery. Part of International Year of Cuba. Contact Miwon Choe, (270) 745-7052.
Thursday, January 31
- 7 p.m.: Hardin Planetarium Show: Phantom of the Universe. Hardin Planetarium. Contact Planetarium, (270) 745-4044.
- 7 p.m.: Hilltopper Basketball vs. UTSA. Diddle Arena. Contact Athletic Communications, (270) 745-4298.
Friday, February 1
- 5:30 p.m.: International Year of Cuba P-12 Teacher Workshop. Ivan Wilson Fine Arts Center Gallery and room 425. Contact Miwon Choe, (270) 745-7052.
Saturday, February 2
- 9 a.m.: International Year of Cuba P-12 Teacher Workshop. Ivan Wilson Fine Arts Center Gallery and room 425. Contact Miwon Choe, (270) 745-7052.
- 9:30 a.m.: Winter Super Saturdays. Various campus locations. Continues each Saturday in February. Contact Gifted Studies, (270) 745-6323.
- 11 a.m.: Southern Kentucky Team Penning. L.D. Brown Agricultural Exposition Center. Contact Ag Expo Center, (270) 745-3976.
- 1 p.m.: WKU Piano Studio Concert. Van Meter Hall. Contact Music, (270) 745-3751.
- 6 p.m.: Hilltopper Basketball vs. UTEP. Diddle Arena. Contact Athletic Communications, (270) 745-4298.