Today@WKU: January 3, 2019
- WKU News
- Thursday, January 3rd, 2019
Welcome to Today@WKU, the daily newsletter from WKU Public Affairs, for January 3, 2019.
- Research Grows Alongside Animals, Crops at WKU Farm: Visit WKU’s Agriculture Research & Education Center (more commonly referred to as the WKU farm) and you’re likely to see a variety of work happening. The WKU farm encompasses 800 acres and is home to a variety of livestock, crops and research. And throughout the 800-acre farm, ongoing research provides data and analysis to help answer a variety of questions, including how to improve agricultural efficiency.
- Winter Term Intersession Parking and Transit Changes: Here’s a reminder from WKU Parking & Transportation that intersession services are in effect during the Winter Term through Jan. 19. More: Winter Term parking map
- What’s Happening at WKU: Check out a list of events through Jan. 19.
- WKU Public Radio Weekday Newscast Schedule: Tune into WKU Public Radio for national and international news from NPR, and local newscasts every half hour during Morning Edition (4-9 a.m. Central), and All Things Considered (3-6 p.m. Central), as well as local news features and interviews produced by the WKU news staff. WKU's Public Radio can be heard on WKYU-FM (88.9) in Bowling Green/Glasgow; WDCL-FM (89.7) in Somerset/Campbellsville; WKPB-FM (88.9) in Henderson/Owensboro; WKUE-FM (90.9) in Elizabethtown/Bardstown; and online at http://www.wkyufm.org/
- Men’s basketball: Hilltoppers Begin C-USA Play on Road Tonight at Charlotte: WKU Hilltopper Basketball begins Conference USA play on the road against Charlotte at 6:30 CT tonight in Charlotte, N.C. The game will air on beIN SPORTS.
- Women’s basketball: WKU Opens Regular Season C-USA Schedule Tonight vs. Charlotte: WKU is set to kick off its "second season" this evening at 6 inside E.A. Diddle Arena, hosting Charlotte to begin the 16-game C-USA portion of its regular season schedule. More: Event parking
- Baseball: Countdown to First Pitch - 100 Days of Hilltopper History: As WKU prepares for the 100th Season of Hilltopper Baseball, WKU Athletics is treating fans to unique moments and interesting history from Hilltopper Baseball, leading up to First Pitch at Nick Denes Field on February 15.
- For WKU volleyball All-American, there's 'hope' despite cancer battle: Alyssa Cavanaugh tries to sleep in as long she can each morning, usually making it to 9 a.m. before her dog, Hope, finds her noisiest squeaky toy.
- Taveion Hollingsworth a shooting star at WKU, one that got away for UK: Looking back, Kathy Sweatt realized something was wrong when she began hearing several times a day from her son, who had gone to college a couple of hours away.
- College Heights Foundation to move into historic home owned by Kentucky Supreme Court Chief Justice: The College Heights Foundation at WKU has found a new home thanks to a gift from a prominent WKU alumnus and his wife.
More: Check out WKU in the News page.
- Upcoming WKU Alumni events: For a listing of Alumni events, visit the Alumni website and click on the Events Calendar. Or contact the WKU Alumni Association at 888-958-2586. For a list of Alumni news, visit the Alumni News page. More: John Asher Scholarship Fund; WKU Alumni Connection App; WKU SpiritFunder; Topper Travelers – Castles of the Rhine 2019
More: Visit the WKU Alumni website.
- #ClimbWithUs: The WKU Office of Admissions helps future Hilltoppers as they start their journey on The Hill. You can reach us by calling 270-745-2551, emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or connecting with us on social media. Schedule a tour. Visit https://www.wku.edu/admissions/counselors/ or call 270-745-2551 to get in touch with your WKU Admissions Counselor. Students can reserve their TOP date and take their placement exams at www.wku.edu/top
- #WKU2023: Attention high school seniors, WKU has opened the Fall 2019 application! Join the Hilltopper Family at http://wku.edu/apply. More: DiscoverWKU & Head for The Hill events
- Useful links for prospective/admitted students: Campus tours; Let’s Talk, Topper; Admissions Timeline; Topper Orientation Program; Scholarships; Housing; MASTER Plan
- Exhibits at Kentucky Museum: A Culture Carried: Bosnians in Bowling Green (through May 11); Highbrow; plus other gallery and on-campus exhibits. (Museum hours/visitor information) Contact Kentucky Museum, (270) 745-2592.
- Exhibits at Downing Museum: The Story of Joe Downing: Select Works From the Collection. Downing Museum, 4801 Morgantown Road. Contact Jack LeSieur, (270) 842-7415.
- International Year of Cuba: Various events during the 2018-19 academic year. Contact International Programs, (270) 745-5334.
Thursday, January 3
- 6 p.m.: Lady Topper Basketball vs. Charlotte. Diddle Arena. Contact Athletic Communications, (270) 745-4298.
- 7 p.m.: Hardin Planetarium Show: Phantom of the Universe. Hardin Planetarium. Contact Planetarium, (270) 745-4044.
Saturday, January 5
- 8 a.m.: Wilderness First Responder Course. Preston Health and Activities Center. Eight-day course through January 12. Contact ORAC, (270) 745-6545.
- 2 p.m.: Lady Topper Basketball vs. Old Dominion. Diddle Arena. Contact Athletic Communications, (270) 745-4298.
Sunday, January 6
- 2 p.m.: Hardin Planetarium Show: Phantom of the Universe. Hardin Planetarium. Contact Planetarium, (270) 745-4044.