Today@WKU: January 2, 2019
- WKU News
- Wednesday, January 2nd, 2019
Welcome to Today@WKU, the daily newsletter from WKU Public Affairs, for January 2, 2019.
- A WKU couple paints the town red with their up and coming Board & Brush location: In September 2017, Allison Campbell hosted her bachelorette party at a Board & Brush creative studio in Louisville, Ky. This year, she and her husband, Brian Campbell, are planning to open a location of their own. She said she had such a good time that she kept thinking about how great an addition of a Board & Brush would be to Bowling Green, Ky. “There isn’t anything quite like Board & Brush in town, so we’re excited to share it with the community,” Allison Campbell said. More from WKU Alumni: WKU Student Alumni Ambassador steals St. Louis baseball fans' hearts by capturing “Rally Cat”
- Hardin Planetarium to present 'Phantom of the Universe' Jan. 3-Feb. 14: From the journey of protons racing through CERN’s Large Hadron Collider, to up-close views of the Big Bang and emergent universe, to the mile-deep descent to an underground experiment in South Dakota, Phantom of the Universe immerses audiences in the search for dark matter.
- WKU Public Radio Weekday Newscast Schedule: Tune into WKU Public Radio for national and international news from NPR, and local newscasts every half hour during Morning Edition (4-9 a.m. Central), and All Things Considered (3-6 p.m. Central), as well as local news features and interviews produced by the WKU news staff. WKU's Public Radio can be heard on WKYU-FM (88.9) in Bowling Green/Glasgow; WDCL-FM (89.7) in Somerset/Campbellsville; WKPB-FM (88.9) in Henderson/Owensboro; WKUE-FM (90.9) in Elizabethtown/Bardstown; and online at http://www.wkyufm.org/
- Men’s basketball: Bassey's Effort Against Wisconsin Earns Him Fourth C-USA Honor: WKU center Charles Bassey went toe-to-toe with one of the top players in the country Saturday and led the Hilltoppers to a memorable win, earning his fourth Conference USA Men's Basketball Freshman of the Week Award in the process Monday. The 6-foot-11, 245-pound native of Lagos, Nigeria, tallied 19 points, six rebounds and four blocks in WKU's 83-76 home upset of No. 15/16 Wisconsin on Saturday at E.A. Diddle Arena. Next: WKU at Charlotte on Thursday night.
- Women’s basketball: Abdelgawad Named C-USA Freshman of the Week: Following her breakout performance in WKU's victory over Union (Tenn.) on Saturday, Meral Abdelgawad has been named the C-USA Freshman of the Week as announced by the conference office on Monday afternoon. The weekly award is the first of Abdelgawad's young career on The Hill and the first received by a Lady Topper this season. Next: WKU vs. Charlotte at 6 p.m. Thursday at Diddle Arena.
- Football: Eight Pro Hilltoppers Represented in 2018 NFL Playoffs: Eight of the nine former Hilltoppers currently signed with NFL teams qualified for the 2018 Playoffs. More: Hilltoppers Ink 16 to National Letters of Intent in Early Signing Period; Darden, Deane Highlight Five Hilltoppers On Phil Steele All C-USA Teams
- Men’s golf: Metts Signs Standout Junior-College Transfer Caleb O'Toole: WKU Hilltopper Golf head coach Chan Metts announced the signing of Caleb O'Toole (Pinson, Ala.) to a national letter of intent in the 2018-19 signing class. O'Toole comes to The Hill as a junior-college transfer from Central Alabama Community College in Alexander City, Ala. He'll have two years of eligibility remaining.
- Baseball: Countdown to First Pitch - 100 Days of Hilltopper History: As WKU prepares for the 100th Season of Hilltopper Baseball, WKU Athletics is treating fans to unique moments and interesting history from Hilltopper Baseball, leading up to First Pitch at Nick Denes Field on February 15, 2019.
- Upcoming WKU Alumni events: For a listing of Alumni events, visit the Alumni website and click on the Events Calendar. Or contact the WKU Alumni Association at 888-958-2586. For a list of Alumni news, visit the Alumni News page. More: John Asher Scholarship Fund; WKU Alumni Connection App; WKU SpiritFunder; Topper Travelers – Castles of the Rhine 2019
More: Visit the WKU Alumni website.
- #ClimbWithUs: The WKU Office of Admissions helps future Hilltoppers as they start their journey on The Hill. You can reach us by calling 270-745-2551, emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or connecting with us on social media. Schedule a tour. Visit https://www.wku.edu/admissions/counselors/ or call 270-745-2551 to get in touch with your WKU Admissions Counselor. Students can reserve their TOP date and take their placement exams at www.wku.edu/top
- #WKU2023: Attention high school seniors, WKU has opened the Fall 2019 application! Join the Hilltopper Family at http://wku.edu/apply. More: DiscoverWKU & Head for The Hill events
- Useful links for prospective/admitted students: Campus tours; Let’s Talk, Topper; Admissions Timeline; Topper Orientation Program; Scholarships; Housing; MASTER Plan
- Exhibits at Kentucky Museum: A Culture Carried: Bosnians in Bowling Green (through May 11); Highbrow; plus other gallery and on-campus exhibits. (Museum hours/visitor information) Contact Kentucky Museum, (270) 745-2592.
- Exhibits at Downing Museum: The Story of Joe Downing: Select Works From the Collection. Downing Museum, 4801 Morgantown Road. Contact Jack LeSieur, (270) 842-7415.
- International Year of Cuba: Various events during the 2018-19 academic year. Contact International Programs, (270) 745-5334.
Wednesday, January 2
- WKU Offices Reopen.
- Winter Term Classes Begin. Contact Winter Term, (270) 745-2478.
Thursday, January 3
- 6 p.m.: Lady Topper Basketball vs. Charlotte. Diddle Arena. Contact Athletic Communications, (270) 745-4298.
- 7 p.m.: Hardin Planetarium Show: Phantom of the Universe. Hardin Planetarium. Contact Planetarium, (270) 745-4044.
Saturday, January 5
- 8 a.m.: Wilderness First Responder Course. Preston Health and Activities Center. Eight-day course through January 12. Contact ORAC, (270) 745-6545.
- 2 p.m.: Lady Topper Basketball vs. Old Dominion. Diddle Arena. Contact Athletic Communications, (270) 745-4298.
Sunday, January 6
- 2 p.m.: Hardin Planetarium Show: Phantom of the Universe. Hardin Planetarium. Contact Planetarium, (270) 745-4044.