WKU to recognize more than 2,650 graduates at 185th Commencement
- WKU News
- Monday, April 29th, 2019
WKU will confer degrees and certificates to more than 2,650 graduates, recognize top undergraduate and graduate students and present an honorary doctorate to bluegrass musician Sam Bush at its 185th Commencement on May 10.
WKU’s spring ceremony will begin with the Topper Walk at 6 p.m. as the Class of 2019 makes it way from the Kentucky Museum to Houchens Industries-L.T. Smith Stadium. Following the ceremony, graduates and their families will celebrate at the Big Red Bash on the WKU South Lawn.
WKU will confer degrees and certificates to 2,677 spring graduates -- 77 associate degrees, 1,842 bachelor’s degrees, 494 master’s and specialist degrees, 59 doctoral degrees, 142 undergraduate certificates and 63 graduate certificates.
Members of the Class of 2019 should arrive in front of the Kentucky Museum by 5:15 p.m. May 10 to gather with other graduates of their academic colleges. The Topper Walk, led by WKU faculty members and the parade of U.S. and international flags, will begin at 6 p.m.
Graduates will wave Class of 2019 red towels during the Topper Walk as they make their way down the Hill into the stadium. Family and friends are invited to watch the procession along the sidewalks or on the videoboard inside the stadium.
The Commencement ceremony will begin immediately following the seating of students at the stadium and will include the official conferral of degrees; remarks from President Timothy C. Caboni; the presentation of an Honorary Doctorate of Fine Arts to award-winning fiddle and mandolin player Sam Bush, a Bowling Green native known for helping create the “New Grass sound”; the commissioning of 11 ROTC cadets and the recognition of Kyla Scanlon of Louisville as the Ogden Foundation Scholar (top undergraduate award) and Rachel Kaiser of Covington as the John D. Minton Award recipient (top graduate student). The ceremony will take place rain or shine.
At the conclusion of the ceremony, the graduates, their families and friends will make their way to the South Lawn for the Big Red Bash, a celebration that will feature music, food and fireworks.
On May 11, WKU’s five academic colleges will host special recognition ceremonies at Diddle Arena to celebrate the accomplishments of their graduates who will walk the line and shake hands with President Caboni. The schedule is as follows: Gordon Ford College of Business at 8 a.m.; Potter College of Arts & Letters at 10:30 a.m.; Ogden College of Science and Engineering at 1 p.m.; College of Education and Behavioral Sciences at 3:30 p.m.; and College of Health and Human Services at 6 p.m.
For information about Commencement photography, visit https://www.wku.edu/commencement/photography_media.php
Got questions about Commencement? Visit https://www.wku.edu/commencement/faq-spring.php or contact the Registrar’s Office at (270) 745-3351. For social media posts about Commencement, follow #WKUGrad
- WKU Elizabethtown-Fort Knox Graduand, 6 p.m. ET May 1 at Hardin County Schools Performing Arts Center, 384 W.A. Jenkins Road, Elizabethtown
- ISEC Graduation Celebration, 2 p.m. May 8 at Downing Student Union Auditorium
- Lavender Recognition Ceremony, 7 p.m. May 8 at Augenstein Alumni Center
- Global Learning & International Affairs Graduation Celebration, 5 p.m. May 9 at Mahurin Honors College-International Center, room 1011
- WKU Glasgow Graduand, 6 p.m. May 9 at TJ Pavilion Community Room, 310 N L Rogers Wells Blvd., Glasgow
- Mahurin Honors College Graduation Luncheon, 11 a.m. May 10 at Knicely Conference Center
- Doctor of Physical Therapy Awards and White Coat Ceremony, 1 p.m. May 10 at Sloan Convention Center
- WKU ROTC Commissioning, 3 p.m. May 10 at Diddle Arena
- Folk Studies & Anthropology Reception, Awards and Hooding Ceremony, 3 p.m. May 10 at Kentucky Museum Garden Gallery
- Department of Philosophy & Religion Reception, 3 p.m. May 10 at Cherry Hall, room 316
- Gordon Ford College of Business Commencement Reception, 9:30 a.m. May 11 at Grise Hall lawn
- Master of Accountancy Special Recognition Event, 9:45 a.m. May 11 at Downing Student Union, room 3020
- Gatton Academy Graduation. 10 a.m. May 11 at Van Meter Hall
- CNS & CSI Counseling Hooding Ceremony. 11 a.m. May 11 at Gary Ransdell Hall Auditorium
- EALR Recognition & Hooding Ceremony, noon May 11 at Jody Richards Hall Auditorium
- WKU Owensboro Graduation Ceremony, 6:30 p.m. May 13 at RiverPark Center, 101 Daviess St., Owensboro
Contact: Registrar’s Office, (270) 745-3351