J-1 SEVIS TRANSFER FROM WKU
This section will provide you information on how to transfer your J-1 program sponsorship. Transferring your J-1 SEVIS record can occur when you are currently enrolled as a student at WKU in J-1 status and you plan to enroll at another university or you wish to have your J-1 sponsorship transferred to another Exchange Visitor program. When the transfer is completed, WKU will no longer be your program sponsor.
How to Transfer your SEVIS Record from WKU to a New Program Sponsor
- Log in to iStart using your NetID and password.
- In the J-1 Student Services menu, select "SEVIS Transfer Out Request" and complete this e-form.
- Pay special attention to the date you are requesting that ISO release your SEVIS record to your new school. As of that date, your SEVIS record will belong to your new school. We will not be able to modify or cancel your transfer out request and you will no longer have work authorization granted by WKU.
- You will need to provide your new school's SEVIS code.
- Before you can submit the e-form, you will also be asked to upload a copy of your admission letter to your new school.
3. Once you submit the form, ISO will process it and you will be notified via email if the request is approved or if any further information is required.
4. If you receive the confirmation email stating that your SEVIS record has been transferred on the requested release date, you can now contact your new school for the new DS-2019. The SEVIS transfer out process is electronic and occurs immediately once initiated. Your school should now have access to your record.
ISO can only transfer your SEVIS record to one institution even though you may be applying to many. Complete the "SEVIS Transfer Out Request" only after you are certain that you want your record transferred to a new program sponsor.
Things to Know About Transferring your SEVIS Record
A SEVIS transfer applies only to your immigration documentation and DS-2019. Academic records are not part of the process completed by ISO. If you have any questions regarding the transfer of academic records, you need to contact your academic advisor, your department, or the Registrar’s office.
Please review the timing information below carefully. Your SEVIS transfer release date will be the day you complete your program, the final day of your last semester at WKU or a date you specify in your SEVIS Transfer Out Request—whichever is later.
If you decide to cancel your transfer, you must notify us in writing before your transfer release date. After that date, we will no longer have access to your SEVIS record. In addition, all travel and employment benefits authorized through WKU will end on your transfer release date.
For assistance or more detailed information, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Transfer Guidelines for Specific Situations
|You have completed or will complete your program at WKU and will begin a new program at a new institution.||
Your SEVIS transfer request must be approved and the release granted within your 30-day grace period after the completion of your program at WKU.
|You have completed your program at WKU and are pursuing Academic Training and you
will begin a new program of study at the conclusion of your Academic Training period.
Your Academic Training will end on the date that your SEVIS record is released to your new sponsor. Academic Training is not transferable.
If you want to transfer your SEVIS record AFTER your Academic Training ends, you need to request and receive the SEVIS transfer during the 30 days following the completion of your Academic Training period.
|You are currently attending WKU and have not or will not yet complete a degree program, and you wish to transfer your SEVIS record to another school.||
You should request that your SEVIS record be transferred after your last day of study at WKU but before the beginning of the next term at the new school.
Please note that SEVIS records cannot be transferred in the middle of the semester, after the add/drop date. You will be able to transfer after the last date of final exams and classes for the term, whichever is later.
Also, please be aware that if you are working on-campus at WKU, you will no longer be authorized to do so on the day that your SEVIS record is released to the new school.
Getting Your New DS-2019
Once you have completed the Transfer Out process and your SEVIS record has been transferred to your new sponsor, they will be able to make a new DS-2019 for you. Be sure to contact your new sponsor to find out what their policy is on issuing new DS-2019s and to discuss your travel plans and options.
Remember, if you are traveling outside the United States after your record has been transferred to your new school, you must use your new DS-2019to re-enter the U.S. No matter what your travel plans are, you must report to your new school within 15 days of your new DS-2019 program start date.
Links for J-1 Students
- Applying for a Visa