Facebook Pixel J-1 On-Campus Employment | Western Kentucky University


Skip to main content


Many international students at WKU earn income by working on campus. On-campus employment refers to any job on campus in which you are paid by Western Kentucky University.

Exceptions to the requirement that you be “paid by WKU” exist for companies that operate on-campus and provide a service to students. One example is Aramark Company that provides food services on campus. 

How do I get authorization to work on campus?

To request and receive work authorization, the following steps are required:

  1. Apply for an on-campus job.
  2. A letter of employment will be provided by the employer.
    • For any work offered by Aramark, the student will bring the letter to the ISO for authorization.
    • For any work offered by student employment or Graduate Assistantships the ISO will provide a letter of work authorization.
  3. An advisor at ISO will review the letter of employment.  If approved the student will receive a letter with a stamp and information will be added to the DS-2019.
  4. The student will pick up the letter and apply for a social security number.
  5. The student will complete employment paperwork and tax forms with representatives from Human Resources.
  6. The student will report to ISO any changes in employer.
What are the rules I must follow to work legally on-campus?

You must:

  1. Be enrolled as a full time student during the fall and spring semesters.
  2. Work no more than 20 hours per week during the fall and spring semesters.
  3. Only work more than 20 hours per week only during official university breaks (summer break, winter break and spring break).

Your 20-hour weekly maximum is a combined total for all on campus jobs you have. Hours may not be averaged over a period of time.

If you wish to work more than 20 hours and the work is in your major field of study and is an integral/critical part of your academic program, please see Academic Training.

Where can I find a job?

The Student Employment Office on campus provides a current list of available on-campus positions.

Another option is to check with WKU Restaurant Group.

You can also visit campus offices and departments and to deliver your resume and ask about any available positions.

The Advising and Career Development Center offers lots of helpful resources such as resume reviews, interview tips, advising sessions with career counselors, job fairs and much more! workshops and resources about resume writing, interview skills, networking, and many other employment-related topics.

I found a job! What do I do now?

Your employer will ask you to complete a form called the I-9 to show your eligibility to work in the United States.If you don’t have one already, you should apply for a Social Security Number (SSN).

Your employer may require a “Criminal Background Check” if you have been present in the U.S. for more than one year. If you have been in the U.S. for less than one year, you are exempt. The university policy on background checks is available online.

View the university background check policy ››






Some of the links on this page may require additional software to view.

 Last Modified 3/2/20