Facebook Pixel The Graduate School - Financial Resources | Western Kentucky University

The Graduate School - Financial Resources

A variety of financial resources are available to graduate students at WKU.  Please consult the following list to learn more about them!


The graduate assistantship program at WKU provides graduate students the opportunity to earn an excellent salary and fringe benefits while advancing their career.  Assistantships are available for qualified applicants -- please read the graduate assistantship overview to learn about qualifications, how to apply, potential benefits, and more.

Research grant funding up to $2000 is available for students conducting research.

Travel grant funding is available for graduate students to travel to present at professional meetings and conferences and to support research project travel.
Western Kentucky University is approved by the Kentucky State Approving Agency and the U.S. Department Veteran's Affairs (VA) for veteran's educational training. There are several categories of educational benefits for eligible students including Montgomery GI Bill, Chapter 30 (active duty) and Chapter 1606 (reserve/national guard), Chapter 1607 (REAP), Chapter 33 (Post 9/11), Chapter 35 (Dependents Educational Assistance Program), and Chapter 31 (Vocational Rehabilitation).

Questions regarding eligibility for Chapters 30, 1606, 1067, 33, and 35, educational benefits should be directed in writing to the:
VA Regional Office
P.O. Box 66830
St. Louis, MO 63166-6830
Telephone 888-442-4551

Chapter 31 questions should be directed to:
VA Regional Office
545 South Third St.
Louisville, KY 40202-1838
Telephone 270-582-5836

You may also contact the WKU Veteran's Affairs Office at 270-745-3732.
The College Heights Foundation provides financial assistance to graduate students, mainly in the area of Teacher Education and Family Science. Apply through WKU Student Financial Assistance.
Tuition is based on a student's residency.  Prospective or current graduate students can learn more about Kentucky's definition of "residency for tuition purposes" as well as the process for graduate students to have their residency reviewed.
Residents of states in the Southern Regional Education Board (SREB) may qualify for the Academic Common Market program, based on their program of study.  Students qualifying for ACM eligibility may receive reduced tuition rates. 
The Office of Sponsored Research can assist graduate students in their search for grants and other sources of funding.
Kentucky residents who are 65 years of age or older on or before the day the semester begins are granted tuition waivers for any college class in which they enroll for credit or to audit in accordance with KRS 164.284. A senior citizen who holds a bachelor’s degree may be admitted as a non-degree student or may pursue admission to a specific degree program. Please contact the the Office of Student Billing and Account Services at (270) 745-6381 or billing@wku.edu for additional information.
Tuition waivers for supervising teachers are available through the College of Education and Behavioral Sciences.


Some of the links on this page may require additional software to view.

 Last Modified 1/25/24