College of Education and Behavioral Sciences
Tuition Waiver for Supervising Teachers and Resource Teachers for Teacher Interns
Western Kentucky University supports public school teachers working with student teachers through the adoption of the following policy relevant to SB77, Section 9. Effective in 2019, for participating counties, mentor teachers for the New Teacher Academy will be included in WKU’s policy.
- In recognition of valuable service to the preparation of teachers and the need for all teachers to have continual professional growth, a cooperating teacher may, with prior approval of the course offering institution, take a maximum of six (6) credit hours per term at any public institution and pay no tuition. The postsecondary institution shall waive the tuition up to a maximum of six (6) credit hours. Mentor teachers in the New Teacher Academy may take a total of three (3) credit hours at WKU.
- The teacher covered in this section may exercise the tuition-free course option, only if there is available space within a given course offering. A postsecondary institution shall not be required to establish a course to meet teacher requests.
- The tuition-free courses may be used to partially satisfy requirements for an advanced degree.
The following conditions must be met for the tuition waiver to be effective.
- Public school teachers wishing to apply for the tuition waiver must be admitted to graduate studies at Western Kentucky University with a planned program of study on file in the Graduate Studies Office and/or Teacher Certification Office.
- Public school teachers are eligible for enrollment in tuition-free courses upon verification of the completion of an assignment as a cooperating teacher (student teaching) or mentor teacher in the New Teacher Academy. The written certification must include the cooperating or mentor teacher’s name, social security number, the inclusive dates during which the public school teacher served as a cooperating teacher or mentor teacher, and the signatures of the public school teacher and his/her principal verifying the completion of the experience. The request for waiver of tuition should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Public school teachers serving as cooperating teacher for student teaching for one full semester are eligible for six (6) hours of tuition-free courses for each semester of supervision during an academic year. The school teachers serving as a cooperating teacher for student teachers for one-half semester are eligible for three (3) hours of tuition-free courses for each half semester of supervision during an academic year. Mentor teachers are eligible for three (3) hours of tuition-free course for each year during which they serve as a mentor teacher.
- Course eligibility must be used within one academic year after the end of the semester during which the assignment as a supervising teacher is completed. Academic semesters refer to Winter, Spring, Summer, and Fall semesters.
- Public school teachers are responsible for payment of all required fees, books, and supplies in addition to any application costs and are responsible for gaining admission to their desired program of study.
Western Kentucky University reserves the right to modify policy, procedures, and program eligibility.
For questions about the tuition waiver, contact Cindy.White@wku.edu