Facebook Pixel Transfer Students | Western Kentucky University Skip to main content

CHHS Transfer Student Information

Welcome to Western Kentucky University!


The College of Health and Human Services wants to help make your transition to WKU seamless!  We are so excited that you have chosen WKU to continue your academic career.  In CHHS, we hope that the experiences you have at WKU will leave you with wonderful life-long memories. 

Below you will find information that may be helpful in navigating your transition to WKU and the College of Health and Human Services.  If you have any questions, please feel free to contact the WKU Transfer Center, email transfer@wku.edu or call (270) 745-2178.


The Transfer Center

  • The WKU Transfer Center in the Academic Advising and Retention Center is the one-stop-shop for students interested in trasnferring to WKU. Check out the Transfer Center's website here

Apply to WKU

  • If you have not already applied for admission to WKU, this is the first step in the transfer process.  You can access the online application for WKU here.


  • Students transferring to WKU should request transcripts from any and all institution(s) attended previously.  Official transcripts from each institution should be mailed to WKU Admissions Office, 1906 College Heights Blvd. #11020, Bowling Green, KY 42101-1020.  
  • To see how your courses will transfer, visit WKU's Transfer Credit Articulation Database.

TOP Online

  • Once students are admitted to WKU, you will be prompted to register for and complete the Topper Orientation Program (TOP) Online.  This is our orientation program for transfer students and you will learn about WKU's history, class registration, and academic resources. 
  • TOP Online must be completed before registration can occur.
  • You can find more information on the TOP Online program and register here.
  • Once you have completed TOP Online, your contact information is automatically forwarded to your department.  An academic advisor should contact you within two business days regarding advisement for the upcoming term.  You will also be provided the departmental contact information and can make contact if you have not heard back in the allotted time.

Register for Classes

  • Students can register for classes once they have completed TOP Online and met with an academic advisor to discuss planned coursework for the upcoming semester.  Your academic advisor will assist you in understanding your major and colonnade general education requirements.  The academic advisor will lift the registration hold so that students can add or drop classes via TopNet.  
  • For assistance using TopNet for registration, please check out our very helpful registration tutorial.  


  • iCAP stands for Interactive Curriculum and Academic Progress.  Students can obtain personalized, interactive audits displaying progress toward a selected degree.  An audit shows the requirements needed to fulfill a major, minor or concentration, and displays the transfer and WKU courses that have been used to satisfy those requirements. 
  • For assistance running and reading your iCAP audit, please check out our iCAP tutorials.

Undergraduate Catalog and Student Handbook

  • An online version of the undergraduate catalog is available here.  The catalog contains information about the university, academic requiremirents and regulations, and specific program requirements.
  • Students can access the WKU Student Handbook here

Learn about Campus

  • One of the best ways to become more familiar with WKU's campus is to participate in a campus tour.  Visit the WKU Admissions Office website to schedule a tour!

Student ID

  • Students can get a WKU ID card made after they are registered for courses.  IDs are made on campus in the ID Center located in DSU room 2125.  Please contact the ID center with questions at 270-745-2417 or idcenter@lists.wku.edu.


  • Make sure to stay on top of your University bill.  An e-bill is sent to students' billing email.  For additional information or if you have questions regarding your bill, please contact the Office of the Bursar at 270-745-6381 or at billings.receivabiles@wku.edu

TopperMail Account (Email)

  • Students are issued a TopperMail account within 24-48 hours after their intial course registration.  Students do not get an email account upon admission to the University.  Students should access email using their TopperMail email address at http://webmail.wku.edu.  There are also links on this page to assist in retrieving your email adress or resetting your TopperMail password.

Financial Aid and Scholarships

  • Transfer students should be sure to add WKU's school code to their FAFSA form.  WKU's school code is 002002.
  • Transfer students may be eligible to apply for WKU Scholarship.  Please visit the WKU Scholarships website for additional information and deadlines.  Questions regarding scholarships should be directed to the Scholarship Department at 270-745-2755 or scholarships@wku.edu.  Please note, there are specific deadlines by which you must apply to be considered for transfer scholarships at WKU.
  • For general Financial Aid information, please visit the Office of Student Financial Assistance website.  Questions regarding other federal and state financial aid should be directed to the Office of Student Financial Assistance at 270-745-2755 or fa.questions@wku.edu.
  • Students who are taking courses at WKU and another institution and who would like all credit hours considered for financial aid purposes should submit the Consortium Request form.  The form can be found under the Financial Aid tab in TopNet.


  • Students can reserve textbooks by logging into TopNet.  Under the Student Services tab, click on the "Textbook Reservation" link.  The deadline is July 31 for fall reservation and the deadline is December 15 for spring reservation.  
  • Students can also visit the WKU Store webpage to compare pricing on the required text for each course. 


  • On campus housing -- At WKU, all freshmen and sophomores (students with less than 60 earned credit hours) are required to live in a residence hall.  To apply for on campus housing, please visit the Housing and Residence Life website.  Freshmen and sophomore students who wish to live off campus must complete an exemption form.  Please click here for more on the required housing policy and to find the exemption forms.  
  • Off campus housing -- For additional information on relocating to Bowling Green and assistance finding housing, please check out the city of Bowling Green's Relocation Guide

Meal Plans

  • Whether you live on or off campus, a Meal Plan is by far the most economical and most convenient way to eat on campus by offering more value for your dollar!  Meals can be used for all-you-care-to-eat meals in the Fresh Food Company or to purchase a "Value Meal" at most of our other dining locations.  Meal Plan Dollars come with the Meal plans and offer you even more flexibility.  You can use your Meal Plan Dollars in all campus restaurants and at the on campus convenience stores. 
  • Freshmen living on campus are required to have a meal plan for an entire academic year. 
  • Students can add or update Meal Plans in TopNet under the Student Services tab, select Meal Plan Add or Update. 
  • For additional information or assistance with Meal Plans, please contact Dining Services at 270-745-2416 or wkudining@wku.edu.

 Parking Permits

  • Parking Permits are issued through Parking and Transportation Services.  All students who wish to park on campus must obtain a permit.  Please visit the Parking and Transportation Services webpage for additional information about the types of parking passes available.  You can contact them with questions at 270-745-2361 or transportation@wku.edu

Get Involved


Adult Learners

  • Adult learners or non-traditional students often face a unique set of challenges as they continue their educational journey.  Adult Learner Services is a porogram specifically designed to help adults pursue a college degree.  WKU Adult Learner Services Offers a wide variety of assistance to non-traditional students.  Learn more here!

IT Helpdesk

  • The IT Helpdesk serves as the initial point of contact for technology support and provides the first level or response for technology-related problems and questions.  Assistance may be requested here or by calling 270-745-7000
  • The IT Helpdesk can assist with gaining access to your student accounts such as your WKU email, TopNet, Blackboard, help with accessing email on your cellular device, among many other things.  For a comprehensive listing of IT Services for Students, click here.

iWKU App

  • The iWKU is a great resource for WKU students.  The app includes an interactive campus map, quick access to your class schedule, the shuttle schedule, Blackboard access and more!  The app can be downloaded from The App Store or Google Play.  




Some of the links on this page may require additional software to view.

 Last Modified 1/8/21