Gearing Up! WKU DEI Update, August 5, 2021
- Thursday, August 5th, 2021
Greetings Campus Community!
It’s that time of the year again! Everyone is busy with preparations and gearing up for the arrival of new and returning WKU students. Don’t forget, your DEI Team is here to help should you need any assistance with things related to diversity, equity, and inclusion!
Just a couple of reminders as you plan your syllabi, meetings, and campus events:
- Please keep cultural and religious observations in mind as you plan events. For a list of dates, click HERE.
- When planning events, be mindful of folks with dietary preferences, needs, and allergies. Attached is a check list created by Gordon Ford College of Business for event planning with attention to inclusion. This will help ensure you’ve covered all the bases!
- As you are drafting your course syllabi/syllabuses, check the WKU Syllabus Information Links page for statements regarding ADA compliance, Title IX, etc., HERE. Please note some of this has changed and continues to evolve.
- Results from the 2020-21 Cultural Climate Survey (faculty/staff/admin) are posted on the DEI Website. The survey was designed to provide baseline data and serve as a guide for implementing campus-wide DEI initiatives. The survey will be distributed to students in 2021-22.
Finally, over the summer, we worked with the marketing team on new websites. WKU now has a landing page, managed by Marketing Communications, for “Diversity on Campus” that provides potential students an overview of what WKU has to offer diverse populations. The “DEIPage,” managed by the Co-chief Diversity Officers, provides helpful information and resources for current students and faculty.
We will be in touch soon with DEI plans for the Fall semester as we work on new ONE WKU projects!
Michael & Molly
Co-Chief Diversity Officer for Enrollment & Student Experience, Michael P. Crowe, Jr.
Co-Chief Diversity Officer for Academic Affairs, Molly Kerby, PhD, MPH