Job Opening: Nurse Practitioner
- Author: Kathryn S
- Author: Monday, July 23rd, 2012
WESTERN KENTUCKY UNIVERSITY
DEPARTMENT OF HEALTH SERVICES
Provide medical care, education and counseling to WKU Health Services patients following established protocols from the Medical Director. These services include, but are not limited to, diagnosis and treatment of acute and chronic illnesses and injuries, health education, patient advocacy, referral and collaboration with other health care professionals. Services related to health issues particular to young adults of college age including STI testing and counseling as well as annual women’s health visits are often rendered in this setting. Therefore, sensitivity to these issues and a willingness to discuss them with patients is necessary. This position reports to the Medical Director.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
The following duties are customary for this position, but are not to be construed as all-inclusive. Duties may be added, deleted and assigned based on management discretion and institutional needs.
- Delivers medical care according to standards of care, and additional certifications, through collaborative practice agreements with WKU Health Services Physicians under the supervision of the Medical Director
- Assists the Medical Director and the Executive Director with state regulation, practice patterns, and relevant updates in the field of Advanced Registered Nursing
- Initiates communication with Medical Director, Clinical Nurse Manger, and Quality Assurance Coordinator on issues pertaining to quality of patient care
- Ensures that all licenses, certifications, and malpractice coverage remain current
- Seeks out and attends appropriate professional training, seminars, conferences for continuing education credits and keep abreast of current knowledge, regulations, and events in the medical field
- Serves as a mentor and resource person for the clinical staff
- Maintains accurate patient records and documentation
- Performs outreach talks and presentations to campus community
- Performs other related duties as assigned by the Medical Director or Executive Director
- Assists health education with medical guidance and direction
- Initiates, collaborates, communicates, and participates in special projects with other WKU Health Services personnel on special tasks or committees for the improvement of the Health Service
- Performs Provider Performed Microscopy under the supervision of the Medical Director or Lab Supervisor, including proper documentation
- Other duties as assigned within the scope of license and training
- Graduate of an MSN Program, with Nurse Practitioner emphasis, from an accredited school of nursing
- An active and current state APRN license and specialty certification. Licenses/certifications must be in good standing. Advanced practice certificate/license must be unencumbered in the state of Kentucky
- Clinical practice as a Nurse Practitioner
- Knowledge of Advanced Nursing practice, including all laws and principles of same
- Medical Provider CPR Certification
- Skills in oral, written, and interpersonal communication
- Familiarity with electronic medical records
- Computer and word processing skills (Microsoft Office)
- Must have a fervent work ethic and commitment to excellence
- Must independently perform assigned duties and seek opportunities for educational and professional growth
Physical and Mental Abilities Required:
This position may require long periods of sitting, standing, and computer use. This position requires continuous follow up, communication, and attention to detail. The person must be self directed, motivated, and a critical thinker. Employee must have a willingness to learn as well as the ability to multitask and stay focused. This position may require providing patient assistance and therefore; the employee, must be able to lift and support patient weight up to 250 lbs or more. This position requires the physical mobility to reach, bend, stoop, and lift supplies weighing approximately 10 - 25 lbs. The ability to establish and meet deadlines is essential. Employee must be able to handle the emotional stress of a job which deals with long hours and working with patients whom may be having personal issues. The successful candidate must have mental and physical stamina and flexibility to meet the demands of a busy group practice.
Salary Range: $45,048 - $75, 600
Applications for employment will be accepted electronically only. Interested candidates must submit a letter of application, current resume, and names, addresses, and daytime phone numbers of three professional references using the on-line application process. Please refer to the following website to apply: http://asaweb.wku.edu/wkujobs. Reference requisition number S3349. For further assistance call (270) 745-5934. For full consideration, submit application materials by August 6, 2012. Position will remain open until filled.
Western Kentucky University does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, disability, age, religion, or marital status in admission to career and technical education programs and/or activities, or employment practices in accordance with Title VI and VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, Title IX of the Educational Amendments of 1972, Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, Revised 1992, and the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990.