Alan Miller Memorial Scholarship Deadline September 15
- Monday, August 30th, 2021
Alan Brent “Al” Miller was a 2005 graduate of WKU, majoring in English and religious studies. A lifelong writer and outdoorsman, he particularly excelled in writing about the relationship between humans and the natural environment. As he concluded his degree at WKU, Al wrote this reflection on how his studies had prepared him: “The study of
literature has prepared me to work effectively. Work intended to benefit society–intended to benefit anyone other than the self should always be undertaken with some hesitancy, some trepidation. Yet working on behalf of others is a reality and necessity in society,
and as a student of literature, I am better qualified to work, to strive toward the fulfillment of our best desires, than those who have made little effort to study human nature and the self.”
To honor his memory and encourage other students to follow in his footsteps, Al’s parents, Karen and Robert Miller, established the Alan Miller Memorial Scholarship Fund in 2021. The fund assists deserving WKU incoming freshmen who are full-time students and are majoring in English. First preference is given to students who have an interest in the outdoors but is not required. In 2021-22, this award is generously supported by the College Heights Foundation Opportunity Fund and the Potter College of Arts and Letters Opportunity Fund.
Please note the following guidelines:
1. Recipients must be full-time students at Western Kentucky University
2. Recipients must be pursuing a major in English or English for Secondary Teachers
3. Recipients must a freshman in their first year of study at WKU
4. Financial need is to be an important consideration
5. Students with an interest in the outdoors/environmental justice will be given strongest consideration, but is NOT a requirement
6. Write a BRIEF essay (max 150 words) in the space below indicating your goals for your academic experience and how the scholarship will help you achieve them.
The scholarship application can be found here.