WKU staff, students honored in AP Broadcasters competition
- Author: WKU News
- Author: Monday, April 15th, 2019
WKU Public Radio staff members and WKU School of Journalism & Broadcasting students were honored Saturday in the annual Kentucky Associated Press Broadcasters competition.
The Kentucky AP awards, sponsored by the Kentucky Broadcasters Association, recognized the best in college and professional broadcast journalism in 2018.
“I’m so proud of the showing we had at the latest Kentucky AP Broadcasters awards,” said Kevin Willis, news director of WKU Public Radio. “The stories that were honored cover a wide variety of subjects, and were based in several parts of our listening area, including Bowling Green, Munfordville, Owensboro and Russellville. Our reporters take a lot of pride and enjoyment in their work, and it’s always a great feeling to have that work recognized by our peers.”
WKU staff and students honored in radio and television categories included the following:
Radio (all markets)
- Enterprise Reporting: First Place, Lisa Autry, WKU Public Radio, "In Grips of Opioid Crisis, Doctors Struggle Finding Balance Between Treating Pain, Overprescribing"
- Short Serious News Feature: First Place, Rhonda Miller, WKU Public Radio, "Students from South Warren to Owensboro Join National Walkout for Safer Schools"
- Political Coverage: First Place, Becca Schimmel, WKU Public Radio, for a series of reports on several issues, including poverty, immigration and pension benefits for retired coal miners
- Long Light News Feature: Second Place Rhonda Miller, WKU Public Radio, "Kentucky Lynching Museum Opened 10 Years Before New Montgomery Memorial."
- Continuing Coverage: Second Place, Becca Schimmel, WKU Public Radio, for reports throughout 2018 that explored how the region was impacted by the ongoing trade war between the U.S. and other countries
- Overall Excellence: Second Place, WKU Public Radio
- Best Public Affairs: Second Place, Olivia Eiler, WKU, "WKU Campus Debate."
- Best News Story: First Place, Natalie Turner, WKU, "International Music" (Fall ‘18 WKU Public Radio Intern)
- Best Radio Reporter: First Place, Natalie Turner, WKU (Fall ‘18 WKU Public Radio Intern)
College Best of Show
- Radio: Natalie Turner, WKU (Fall ‘18 WKU Public Radio Intern)
- Best Public Affairs: First Place, Madison Martin, WKU, "Recycling a Challenge for Off-Campus Students"
- Best Sports Coverage: Second Place, Sam Yaw and Zachary McGovern, WKU, "Extra Point Homecoming Special."
- Best News Story: First Place, Olivia Eiler, WKU, "Warren County House Fire"
- Best Television Reporter: First Place, Olivia Eiler, WKU
- Best Newscast: First Place, WKU
Contact: David Brinkley, (270) 745-2400