Health and Safety for College Students
- Author: Monday, September 13th, 2010
Drinkers who consume alcohol with energy drinks are about twice as likely as drinkers who do not report mixing alcohol with energy drinks to report being taken advantage of sexually, to report taking advantage of someone else sexually, and to report riding with a driver who was under the influence of alcohol. Source: Caffeinated Alcoholic Beverages Fact Sheet
Learn more about college health and safety issues, including ways to:
- Improve eating habits and be active
- Avoid fatigue and sleep deprivation
- Maintain mental health
- Avoid substance use
- Have healthy relationships and prevent violence
- Prevent sexually transmitted diseases
If you or someone you know is struggling with a health and safety issue, get help.
- Talk to someone you trust, such as a parent, doctor, nurse, social worker, teacher, counselor, or religious leader.
- Visit your college health center or local clinic or hospital, as recommended by your school.
- Contact the campus or community police for safety concerns and in the case of an emergency.
Quick Quiz :
1) What condition can run in families, usually starts between the ages of 15 and 30, and is experienced by more than 20 million people in the United States?
2) How many drinks for males in one setting is considered binge drinking?
3) How many drinks for females in one setting is considered binge drinking?
4) True or false: On average, underage drinkers consume more drinks per drinking occasion than adult [of age] drinkers. Among persons aged 12-20 years, drinking alcohol contributes to which three leading causes of death?
5) Are males or females more likely to be a victim of sexual violence?
6) True or false: Teens and young adults who do not get enough sleep are at risk for automobile crashes, poor grades and performance in school, depressed moods, and problems with peer and adult relationships.
Answers: 1) depression; 2) males- 5, females- 4 or more; 3) true; 4) unintentional injury, homicide, suicide; 5) females; 6) true