WKU to temporarily close Minton Hall, relocate residents
- Author: WKU News
- Author: Wednesday, November 7th, 2018
- HRL Air Quality Updates
- Message for Parents and Guardians
- Updates for Minton Hall residents
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Reserved parking areas for Minton Hall relocation
- Students and parents with questions regarding air quality can call HRL at (270) 745-3143 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
WKU will close Minton Hall for the remainder of the fall academic semester and relocate its 348 residents to other on-campus housing in a proactive effort to mitigate mold found in mechanical spaces within the facility.
“Our first and foremost concern is the health and well-being of our students,” said Brian Kuster, Vice President for Enrollment and Student Experience. “Results of our air quality monitoring indicate that the type of mold present in Minton Hall is common mold and poses few health risks, but it can trigger problems in those who are allergic or who have respiratory issues.”
The unique mechanical structures within Minton Hall “will require us to remove the ceilings in order to appropriately remediate the building, and that means that it will have to be unoccupied,” Kuster said.
The work will be completed by a private contractor.
“We know this will be inconvenient for our students, but it is the most prudent and proactive course of action. We will provide all the support necessary to get students relocated and settled quickly,” Kuster said.
Housing and Residence Life staff are notifying residents of their new assignments for the remainder of the semester and will provide moving assistance. HRL will provide move-in dollies and boxes. Staff will be available Friday, Saturday and Sunday to assist with moving students’ belongings to their new rooms. More: Updates for Minton Hall residents; FAQs; reserved parking areas for Minton Hall relocation
Minton Hall will close on Nov. 12 and will reopen January 18, 2019. HRL will provide the same assistance to students as they move back in January.
Students and parents with questions can call HRL at (270) 745-3143 or email email@example.com.
- More: HRL Air Quality Updates; Message for Parents and Guardians; Updates for Minton Hall residents; FAQs; reserved parking areas for Minton Hall relocation
Contact: Bob Skipper, (270) 745-4295