Staff Registered Nurse
- Terri F.
- Thursday, September 27th, 2012
WKU Health Services
Staff Registered Nurse
The Staff Registered Nurse position is a nine month position. The Staff Registered Nurse provides general patient care and assists Providers with procedures, exams, and treatment. This person must be familiar with WKU Health Services standards and policies and adhere to established policies and protocols. This position will assist in other clinical tasks as patient flow allows, such as returning phone/portal messages, refill line messages, taking vital signs and screening patients for Provider exam. This person also functions as a resource person for the Medical Assistant (MA) and Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN). This position requires the knowledge and skills to perform Triage and other rapid assessments and make decisions on priority of care based on this assessment. This position will assist in monitoring and managing patient flow in coordination with the Clinical Nurse Manager, the Nursing Services Coordinator, and the Triage Nurse. This position may rotate with other clinical positions on an as needed basis to accommodate staffing needs. This may include Provider Nurse, Triage Nurse, etc. This position reports to the Clinical Nurse Manager. The Staff Registered Nurse performs duties under the direction of the Clinical Nurse Manager, Practice Providers, and the Medical Director.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
The following duties are customary for this position, but are not to be construed as all-inclusive. Duties may be added, deleted, and assigned based on management discretion and institutional needs.
- Administers allergy injections according to orders provided by allergist
- Monitors and maintains patient schedule including pre-scheduling allergy injections and following up on patient missed appointments
- Obtains screening data including: blood pressure, pulse, temperature, visual acuity screening, color vision screening, depth perception screening, height, and weight measurement
- Gives medications, both oral and injections, as ordered by the physician and in accordance with WKUHS policy and procedure and then documents in the EMR(electronic medical record)
- Administers immunizations according to standing protocols and then documents in the EMR
- Initiates appropriate follow up communication with allergist or other referring providers
- Assist in monitoring and managing patient flow in coordination with the Clinical Nurse Manager, the Nursing Services Coordinator, and the Triage Nurse.
- Administer and read TB tests
- Documents information in the EMR which may consist of vital signs, chief complaint, allergies/sensitivities with symptoms of the allergy and/or sensitivity, patients’ current medications, medications given during visit, and treatments provided
- Accurately documents encounters in the EMR for continuity of care
- Scans documents and other records into the EMR
- Provides patient education
- Provides back-up coverage for the Triage Nurse
- Screens and responds to patient phone calls
- Follows up with patients in person who have a nurse question
- Responds and provides assistance during emergency situations within the facility
- Processes medication refills, portal messages, and nurse messages
- Initiates protocols and standing orders appropriately (based on assessment)
- Assists in assessing and maintaining efficient patient flow and redirecting staff as necessary to meet the needs of our patients
- Starts IV’s and adjusts rate as ordered by the Provider on an as needed basis
- Assists with patient care on an as needed basis
- Other tasks as assigned
Physical and Mental Abilities Required:
This position may require periods of sitting, standing, computer use, or long periods on your feet. Continuous follow up, communication, and attention to detail are required to ensure safety and completeness of care. This person must be self-directed and motivated. The ability to multitask and stay focused is essential. The successful candidate must have mental and physical stamina and flexibility to meet the demands of a busy group practice and contribute equitably to the overall workload. Patients will be greeted in a manner that is pleasant, attentive, and focused on the patient. Physical mobility required to reach, bend, stoop, and the ability to lift supplies weighing approximately 10 - 25 lbs. Physically able to support or assist in moving a patient weighing up to 250 lbs or more. Visual acuity needed to read computer screens, medication containers, syringe markings, and other small print clearly and accurately. Manual dexterity required to perform patient care and utilize EMR. Maturity and the ability to keep emotions in check and to portray a professional image in both dress and demeanor are essential.
Applications for employment will be accepted electronically only. Interested candidates must submit a letter of application, current resume, and names, addresses and daytime phone numbers of three professional references using the online application process. Please refer to the following website to apply: http://asaweb.wku.edu/wkujobs. For further assistance call (270) 745-5934. Please reference requisition number S3434. For full consideration, submit application materials on or before October 10, 2012. Position will remain open until filled.
Western Kentucky University does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, disability, age, religion, or marital status in admission to career and technical education programs and/or activities, or employment practices in accordance with Title VI and VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, Title IX of the Educational Amendments of 1972, Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, Revised 1992, and the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990.
Persons with disabilities, who need reasonable accommodations to participate in the application and/or selection process, should notify The Office of Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action/University ADA Services at (270) 745- 5121, a minimum of five working days in advance.