Summer String Institute
Meeting Online for Summer 2020
The WKU Summer String Institute is offering online instruction for the Summer 2020 session, Monday–Friday, July 20–24. We are excited to give students the opportunity to study and deepen their musical knowledge in an engaging and fun-filled online context.
Each day will begin with a 90-minute group class; then, we’ll have a lunch break/hangout session, followed by individual practice and private lessons. Each day will conclude with a unique session, featuring faculty and student performances, guest lectures, and fun games!
Dates: Monday–Friday, July 20–24
10:00–11:30 Group Classes
11:30–12:15 Lunch Break/Music listening
12:30–1:15 Individual Practice/Mini lessons
1:30–2:30 Guest Lectures and Performances
Description of activities
- Group class: During this 90-minute session, students are grouped into classes by similar abilities, and will be playing and learning from our faculty members. We will work on group pieces, technique, play musical games, learn music theory, and perform for each other.
- Lunch Break: During lunch, we will stream pre-recorded musical performances and classes so that we can all watch them together! It’s a great way to learn some enjoy some new music in a relaxed context.
- Individual Practice/Lessons: Students will have time to practice and meet in a private online room with one of our teachers for individual instruction.
- Guest Lectures and Performances: Each day will conclude with a special class or performance from guest artists. The topics will vary each day.
Final Concert: Friday, July 24 at 1:30pm.
- Students and faculty members will join together to put on a truly unique final concert live on Zoom. Family members are encouraged to attend!
Students ages 5 to 18 are welcome. You must have at least a year of playing experience (either from private lessons or in school).
Students will need to have a computer, tablet or smartphone and an internet connection for audio/video conferencing. Several weeks before the Institute begins, you will receive an email with information about the online format (via Zoom) and ways for your student to prepare for a successful week.
While we are sad that we won’t be able to meet in person, we are all so excited to continue our musical community in this new online format! During the Spring semester, we taught through Zoom exclusively and created a fabulous sense of community and musical learning, which will continue throughout the Summer. Please contact Andrew.email@example.com for further questions.
Registration for the Summer String Institute is ONLINE ONLY. Please allow 5 minutes to fill out the registration form. An invoice from WKU will be mailed to the address provided on the registration form in July. It will have instructions on payment methods, handled through the WKU Cashier's Office.
Regular Registration: $125 - before July 1st
Late Registration: $150 - on or after July 1st