Facebook Pixel Funding Study Abroad | Western Kentucky University Skip to main content

Funding My Program

Study abroad is an investment in your education and your future, but it does not have to be an expensive one.  With careful planning and a strategic use of resources, any WKU student can afford to have a global learning experience.  Our Financial Planning for Study Abroad worksheet is a helpful guide for walking you through budgeting and utilizing available funding options.                                         

Scholarships for International Programs

The Office of Scholar Development (OSD) provides assistance to WKU students as they apply for nationally competitive scholarships such as the Gilman Scholarship, the Freeman-Asia, and the Boren Award.  To schedule an appointment, email osd@wku.edu or call 270-745-5043.

Scholarships for Domestic Faculty-Led Programs

Current Scholarships and Grants

If you normally receive scholarships or grants towards your education at WKU, you may be able to use those funds for study abroad.  WKU academic scholarships an generally be applied toward any semester or academic year program, but KEES money may only be used if your program fees are billed through Topnet, which is the case for all WKU programs, partner programs, and affiliate providers. Unfortunately, WKU employee tuition waivers and, in many cases, military tuition benefits/VA grants may not be used for study abroad.

To request that your institutional scholarships be applied towards your study abroad fees, email scholarships@wku.edu with your WKU I.D. by no later than November 1 for winter and spring Programs and March 1 for summer and fall Programs.

Financial Aid for Study Abroad

Most forms of financial aid may be used to pay for your study abroad program costs.  Here are a few things you should keep in mind:

  • Make sure you have a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) on file for the current/ approaching academic year.
  • Select your study abroad program carefully. Choosing to study abroad on a non-WKU approved program may prevent you from applying your financial aid. To browse programs, click on Explore Programs.
  • You must be earning credit on your program. This can take the form of WKU credit or transfer credit.
  • If you are participating in a summer program, you must be enrolled in at least 6 credit hours (undergraduate) or 4.5 credit hours (graduate) for loans to apply.
  • Private/alternate loans may be used to help cover study abroad program costs after other types of federal aid have been exhausted. Generally, a co-signer is required before loans can be processed, and these loans often have higher interest rates than Federal Direct loans.
  • Your parents may increase their Parent Plus loan if they have been approved for the current academic year based on the cost of your program. Your parents must notify (fa.studyabroad@wku.edu) if they wish to do so.
  • Financial aid may be released NO earlier than 10 days prior to the start date of the program.

For further information, or to request to use your financial aid towards study abroad, please email Tiffany Denton in Student Financial Assistance at tiffany.denton@wku.edu. You should include the following information in your email: Name, 800#, term you are considering studying abroad, and number of credit hours you will take.



Some of the links on this page may require additional software to view.

 Last Modified 12/1/20