Facebook Pixel FAQ for Students | Western Kentucky University Skip to main content

FAQ for Students

Yes, click here for more information.
Most programs require at least a 2.0 GPA or higher. You must be in good academic and disciplinary standing. 
If your status changes and you are reconsidering studying abroad, please contact the study abroad office. Please e-mail the Study Abroad Office at study.abroad@wku.edu.
Think about what you want to accomplish with study abroad. Are you most interested in taking a unique class in your major? Are you dreaming of a particular location? Is there a time and/or budget limit that you need to consider? Look at our program finder tool, come to the Study Abroad Fair, or set up an appointment with your study abroad advisor.

Talk to the staff at the office of Study Abroad and Global Learning. We’re located in the Honors College and International Center, room 1014.  You can e-mail us or call 270-745-5334. Come to one of our events or make an appointment with a study abroad advisor.

You’ll need to know if your financial aid can pay for study abroad. You can stop by the office of Student Financial Assistance at 317 Potter Hall and talk to a financial aid advisor. Don’t forget that scholarships are available.  OSD staff can advise you on nationally-competitive scholarships like the Gilman and Freeman-Asia.

Your academic advisor will assist you in selecting courses and obtaining approval for transfer credit. Inform your academic advisor early in in the academic year that you want to study abroad to make planning easier.

Most financial aid can be put towards study abroad and there are significant scholarships that can help pay for the experience. Stop by the office of Student Financial Assistance at 317 Potter Hall to discuss your options with a Financial Aid Advisor. WKU’s exchange programs are the most economical options for WKU students.
Although SAGL offers a diverse number of language based programs, the majority of our study abroad programs offer courses in English.
With the help of the SAGL staff and your academic advisor, you will take courses that keep you on track to graduation.
No, SAGL offers many short term programs in the summer and winter. 
You will need a passport; make sure you apply well in advance (6-8 weeks) of your departure date. You may need a visa for your particular destination. The office of Study Abroad and Global Learning will provide you with helpful information if applicable. You may need immunizations, consult your physician for more information.
Find your program using the simple search tool and select “Apply Now” on the program page.

Some of the links on this page may require additional software to view.

 Last Modified 11/14/18