Out of the Box
August 23, 2019 - August 14, 2020
In honor of our 80th anniversary, we present Out of the Box, an exhibition that showcases how historical artifacts, photos, and records tell multiple stories. Artifacts include selections from Mammoth Cave, entrepreneur Carrie Burnam Taylor, local doctors and nurses, music and musical instruments, and religious traditions of South Central Kentucky. In viewing these objects collectively and individually, you will discover how one object can be used in a variety of disciplines, and how together these objects reveal the history and culture of our region.
This exhibition is curated in partnership with 10 faculty from 8 WKU departments, including:
- Spencer Cole, Instructor, School of Nursing
- Dr. Carrie Cox, Assistant Professor, Applied Human Sciences
- Dr. Kate Hudepohl, Associate Professor, Folk Studies & Anthropology
- Dr. Christopher G. Groves, Professor, Geography & Geology
- Dr. Guy D. Jordan, Associate Professor, Art
- Dr. Eve Main, Professor, School of Nursing
- Dr. Isabel Mukonyora, Professor, Philosophy & Religion
- Dr. Whitney O. Peak, Associate Professor, Management
- Dr. Mary E. Wolinski, Professor, Music
- Dr. Dawn G. Wright, Professor, School of Nursing
Out of the Box looks at a wealth of Kentucky history and culture. To make the exhibit accessible to all visitors and available for class use, we created an online exhibit featuring the Object Lessons created by our faculty curators. To visit the online exhibit, click here.
Attention Faculty: Curricular Integration Available
Out of the Box provides great opportunties for integration into courses during the 2019-20 academic year. These include class or extra credit assignments, docent-led class tours, and guest talks by our exhibition team. If you are interested in discussing or arranging an activity for your course, please contact Christy Spurlock, 270-745-6082, email@example.com.
Dr. Michael and Susan Collins
Kentucky Humanities Council
This project is supported with funding from the Kentucky Local History Trust Fund (KRS 171.325), a program administered by the Kentucky Historical Society. For more information, see history.ky.gov/local-history-fund