The Division of Philanthropy & Alumni Engagement seeks to foster lifelong relationships with WKU constituents through activities designed to honor the WKU spirit, engage all members of the WKU family in the life of the University, and secure private support to advance WKU's mission. The Division's core values drive our success through: a Positive and supportive culture, being Accountable for our work and to our peers, demonstrating we are a Resilient team that adapts to change, and see Feedback as an opportunity for growth, and above all, expect Professionalism at all times.
This position requires someone who is an inclusive leader, collaborator, self-motivated, metrics driven, and possesses an innate ability to get things done. As a philanthropy and alumni engagement professional, you will interact with WKU students, staff, faculty, alumni and friends on a daily basis and seek to engage them with WKU and ask for their investment. This position is responsible for working with all alumni engagement team members and partners in the Division of Philanthropy & Alumni Engagement and University to build our pipeline of engaged alumni and donors.
The Assistant Director for Alumni Engagement & Philanthropy, in collaboration with all engagement team members, Division of Philanthropy & Alumni Engagement colleagues, and under the leadership of the Senior Director of Alumni Engagement & Philanthropy, manages all aspects of the Division of Philanthropy & Alumni Engagement's strategies to establish and cultivate relationships through an assigned portfolio that include assigned alumni market segments, programs, volunteers, partners, and of assigned alumni. All alumni engagement team members are responsible for working cross-functionally across the Division and forming partnerships across campus to achieve engagement and investments goals for their assigned portfolio.
As a member of the Alumni Engagement & Philanthropy team, this position manages an assigned portfolio that include assigned alumni market segments (Graduates from 1979 + and diverse alumni constituencies), programs (lifelong learning, alumni recognition), volunteers (Diversity, Equity & Inclusion Council and Alumni Board committees), partners (Society for Lifelong Learning, Campus & Community Events, and Division), and alumni. Team members are responsible for working cross-functionally across the Division and forming partnerships across campus to meet and exceed engagement and philanthropy goals for their assigned portfolio.
Success will be measured through goal alignment with Alumni Association, Division, and University goals by using stated key performance indicators including direct engagement of students, student philanthropy, membership, and volunteerism. Additionally, performance will be defined by using program evaluation results, volunteer management best practices, cross-functional collaboration efforts, and commitment to the Division's core values.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
The following duties are customary for this position, but are not to be construed as all-inclusive. Duties may be added, deleted and assigned based on management discretion and institutional needs.
Diversity, Equity & Inclusion Programs
- Leads the Diversity, Equity & Inclusion Council and its annual plan of work to advance engagement of diverse communities of alumni and model best practices of inclusion for the Association
- Serves as the staff leader for the Society of African-American Alumni, Topper Pride Alumni Chapter, and future identity-based alumni groups by supporting volunteer leaders to ensure they build community and increase alumni engagement of their target audiences in ways that lead to increased investment in WKU
- Collaborate with campus partners to design and support programs to engage alumni from underrepresented or marginalized communities
Alumni Achievement Programs
- Collaborate with Communications & Marketing team and committee to develop standard strategies for engaging alumni through career/interest profiles and developing comprehensive approaches to showcase alumni contributions in the community, region and state through social media, web, email and print publications.
- Evaluate all alumni news received and obtained through research and recommend alumni achievement recognition strategy and collaborate with related Division colleagues to include recognition efforts in engagement strategies
- Support the efforts to highlight alumni achievement by the Alumni Association including the nomination, selection and honoring of the Hall of Distinguished Alumni and other structured programs
- Lead the appropriate WKU Alumni Association Board of Directors committee responsible for alumni recognition programs
- Collaborate with all partners to tell the story of the 119,000 WKU Alumni who represent the outcome of the WKU experience and build a pipeline of rising and notable alumni to recognize.
Lifelong Learning Programs
- Develops and executes regular programs which showcase the expertise of faculty, staff and students on campus with the alumni community
- Collaborates with the Society for Lifelong Learning on programs which engage alumni and friends with the work of the Association and campus
- Designs programs which showcase alumni talents and expertise to provide lifelong learning opportunities for others including book clubs, author talks, art appreciation, etc.
Alumni Memorials & Legacies
- Collaborate with Communications & Marketing to acknowledge alumni in memoriam in respective publications
- Lead Association and Division tributes to notable and loyal alumni
- Manages engagement and investment strategies for assigned portfolio of alumni which includes using specified alumni engagement strategies with philanthropic investment outcomes including timelines for solicitation of membership support, charitable gifts, volunteerism for the WKU Alumni Association and WKU Philanthropy.
- A bachelor's degree
- At least one year of prior full-time professional experience working with diverse constituents of an organization and volunteers in a social work, nonprofit or education setting.
Kentucky state law requires all public institutions of postsecondary education to conduct pre-employment criminal background checks to determine suitability for employment.
Western Kentucky University (WKU) is committed to a policy and practice of providing equal employment and educational opportunities to all individuals. In accordance with Title VI and VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, Title IX of the Educational Amendments of 1972, Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, Revised 1992, and the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, no form of discrimination or harassment will be tolerated at WKU on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, national origin, creed, religion, political belief, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, marital status, age, uniformed services, veteran status, genetic information, pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions, or physical or mental disability in admission to career and technical education programs and/or activities, or employment practices.
Persons with disabilities, who need reasonable accommodations to participate in the application and/or selection process, should notify the office of Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action/University ADA Services (EEO). To request an accommodation, report/express a complaint, or ask questions regarding WKU''s Discrimination and Harassment Policy (#0.2040), please contact Mr. Joshua Hayes, EEO Director/Title IX Investigator/University ADA Coordinator, via email at email@example.com or by phone at (270) 745-5121.
The University is also required to investigate complaints of sex and gender-based harassment, also a form of discrimination, and has designated the Title IX Coordinator as the individual responsible for coordinating the investigation and response to such complaints. The Title IX Coordinator for the University is Ms. Andrea Anderson, who can be contacted via email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at (270) 745-5398. Additional information regarding Title IX is accessible via WKU''s https://www.wku.edu/titleix/ website.
Information concerning educational programs offered by WKU are provided at: http://www.wku.edu/atwku/academics.php