Facebook Pixel Veterans Affairs | Western Kentucky University Skip to main content

Veterans Affairs

General Information

You MUST notify the VA Office at WKU if you:

  • change your major
  • change your course load
  • withdraw from classes
  • change your address
  • have depleted your VA educational benefits

Change In Status Form should be submitted to the VA Office at WKU when you add a class or classes.  If you drop or withdraw, the VA Office at WKU will automatically be notified of those changes; however,  you must submit this form when adding any additional classes. VA will not pay benefits to an individual for a course from which the individual withdraws or receives a nonpunitive grade which is not used in computing the requirements for graduation (38 USC 3680).

University policies regarding medical withdrawals or military withdrawals can be found on the Registrar's website.

The MGIB program bases eligiblity upon submission of $1200 ($100.00 per month for the first year of active duty services and provides up to 36 months of education benefits.

This benefit may be used for degree and certificate programs, flight training and apprenticeship/on-the-job training. Generally, benefits are payable for 10 years following your release from active duty. View rates for this benefit.  Kicker contracts ($600.00 buy up upon separation from service) are set by individual branches and paid along with the monthly stipend. 

DEA provides education and training opportunities to eligible dependents of veterans who are permanently and totally disabled due to a service-related condition, or who died while on active duty or as a result of a service related condition. The program offers up to 45 months of education benefits or until the dependent reaches the age of 26 (child).

These benefits may be used for degree and approved certificate programs, apprenticeship and on-the-job training. If you are a spouse, you may take a correspondence course. View rates for this benefit

The MGIB-SR program may be available to you if you are a member of the Selected Reserve and have completed boot camp and/or training. Students also be in good standing with their unit. The Selected Reserve includes the Army Reserve, Navy Reserve, Air Force Reserve, Marine Corps Reserve and Coast Guard Reserve, and the Army National Guard and the Air National Guard.

This benefit may be used for degree and certificate programs, flight training, and apprenticeship/on-the-job training. View rates for this benefit.  Kicker contracts may provide an extra $150.00-$350.00 per month (not all qualify).

Eligibility is determined by a sliding scale of active duty service of the veteran.  This benefit is paid based upon the % rate determined by the DOD (Department of Defense)  and the percentage rate is available on VA's website

The Post-9/11 GI Bill will pay tuition based upon eligibility scale, limited fees, a monthly stipend based upon the BAH for the zipcode of WKU, and a book stipend.  (The amount of support that an individual may qualify for depends on where they live).

This benefit may be used for degree and certificate programs, flight training, and apprenticeship/on-the-job training.

At WKU, VA will pay tuition (based upon percentage eligibility) fees (such as lab fees, graduation fees, etc.) directly to the school.  VA will pay a book stipend (based upon percentage eligibility up to $1000.00 annually) at $41.67 per credit hour. View rates for the monthly stipend..  Students must be certified over half-time to receive any BAH (monthly stipend).  BAH can be paid for online courses.  However, in order to receive the full rate, the student must be registered in at least 1 credit hour of an in-classroom course. Certification of ALL online courses will result in a reduced amount (based upon percentage eligibility and training time.)

Eligibility for the Yellow Ribbon Program is based upon 100% eligibility for the Post 9/11 benefit.  You can find more information about this program on VA's website.  For eligible students, VA pays half of the out-of-state rate of tuition (or TIP rate) and WKU matches that amount. Currently, WKU is charging all students using VA educational benefits the in-state rate. Therefore, no Yellow Ribbon will be required.
The Vocational Rehabilitation program is for service-disabled veterans who require further education to attain suitable, stable employment, and eligibility is determined by VA. This program may provide vocational and other training services and assistance including tutorial assistance, tuition, books, fees, supplies, handling charges, licensing fees and equipment, and other training materials necessary, along with a monthly stipend.  View rates for this benefit
See training-time under the PAYMENT INFORMATION link.
If a veteran fails a required course, he/she may repeat that course with pay. However, he/she cannot repeat a course in which a "passing grade" is received. Unless specified otherwise by the university, a "passing grade" is a D or higher.
Veterans must attend classes regularly and continue to show satisfactory progress. Benefit payments will not be made for courses from which you withdraw unless mitigating circumstances exist.  Probation and/or suspensions are reported to the Department of Veterans Affairs.
Definitions of terms used frequently by the Department of Veterans Affairs and the Veterans Affairs office at WKU.

Some of the links on this page may require additional software to view.

 Last Modified 1/8/19