Skip to main content
Skip to main content

Veterans Affairs

belltowerswearing in

Military Tuition Assistance

Tuition Assistance is not a loan -- it is a benefit. Each year Congress gives funds to each of the services to pay up to 100% of your tuition costs. Each service has its own rules and procedures, but generally speaking, each service member can tap into $4,500 of educational benefits each year. The money is paid directly to the university to cover your tuition costs. explains each service’s Tuition Program and provides links to the services' actual TA websites.

In-State Tuition for Active Duty, Spouse, and Dependents

As of July 1, 2009, members of the armed forces serving on active duty for a period of more than 30 days will be charged in-state tuition. This also applies to the spouse and dependent children of the service member. House Resolution 4137 ensures that service members are not penalized for relocating for military service. If you are currently serving in Kentucky or if your permanent duty station or home of record is Kentucky, you will be charged in-state tuition for the duration for your continuous enrollment. The student simply needs to complete a Residency Form, available in Admissions Office. You may be eligible for the military rate of $250 per credit hour by contacting Military Student Services at WKU.

Please register for WKU classes on TOPNET. Remember to always check your WKU emails for important information.

You’ll need a Common Access Card (CAC) and a CAC reader to log in to most of the military web sites to apply for Tuition Assistance. There are 3 CAC readers on WKU's main campus in the following locations: ROTC Office in Diddle Arena 1512, Veterans Upward Bound Office in Jones Jaggers Hall 127, and the Office of Military Student Services in Tate Page Hall 408.


 Active duty Army or Activated Guard/Reserves (ACR)

Go to to process your tuition claim.

Kentucky National Guard (KYNG) Tuition Assistance

100% paid at any state support university/college for enlisted soldiers. However, KYNG will not pay for tuition assistance for the Winter (3-week) term or the Summer term. You will need to apply for federal tuition assistance for those time frames.

Eligibility Requirements for KYNG:

To apply for Kentucky National Guard tuition assistance visit:

The deadlines for National Guard are October 1 (Spring semester) and April 1 (Fall semester). For Your Information—Tuition Assistance will NOT pay the additional amount charged for online courses.

Navy Tuition Assistance

A financial assistance program from the Navy. It provides active duty personnel in the Navy, Coast Guard, and Naval Reservists the tuition cost for courses taken in an off-duty status at a college or university that is recognized by the Department of Education. Navy TA pays for both classroom and independent study/distance learning courses, regardless of course length. Courses must be offered in semester hours or quarter hours.

All Navy TA pays up-front the tuition charged by educational institutions for course enrollments. Navy TA will not exceed $250.00 per semester hour.

Your command approved tuition assistance application must be submitted to your supporting Navy College Office or Marine Corps Education Center for processing.

Once received and authorized by your Navy College Office / Marine Corps Education Center, they will prepare a TA Authorization voucher for you to provide to the school.  Keep a copy of the TA Authorizaiton for your records. 

Active duty Navy, Marines, or Coast Guard should go to: for updated information.

To apply for TA, visit

Marine Tuition Assistance

Information can be found at  

To apply for TA, visit

Air Force Tuition Assistance

Can be applied for at

Military Spouse Career Advancement (MYCAA)

WKU has joined forces with Military One Source to assist military spouses looking to further their education or complete their degree. For information on how to enroll in MYCAA log in

NOTE: You cannot use federal tuition assistance and VA educational benefits for the same courses. 

Note: documents in Portable Document Format (PDF) require Adobe Acrobat Reader 5.0 or higher to view,
download Adobe Acrobat Reader.

Note: documents in Excel format (XLS) require Microsoft Viewer,
download excel.

Note: documents in Word format (DOC) require Microsoft Viewer,
download word.

Note: documents in Powerpoint format (PPT) require Microsoft Viewer,
download powerpoint.

Note: documents in Quicktime Movie format [MOV] require Apple Quicktime,
download quicktime.

 Last Modified 6/28/17