Skip to main content
Skip to main content

Veterans Affairs

Frequently Asked Questions

Here's a list of the most frequently asked questions we receive in Veterans Affairs. If you need additional information, clarification, or would like to speak with someone in person, let us know! You may call 1-270-745-3732 or email

What if I've used my benefits before?
If you have not received your VA educational benefits within the past five (5) years, you will be required to complete different paperwork. If you received the Montgomery GI Bill or Post 9/11, you must complete the VA Form 22-1995. If you received dependent benefits, you must complete the VA Form 22-5495. If you used your benefits at another school, then you must go to our Getting Started page for instructions on using your VA educational benefits at Western Kentucky University.
What is a Certification Request for (CRF)? Why do I need to complete a CRF, and how often do I have to complete it?
The Veteran Certification Request Form is the form in which you submit a request for enrollment certification from the Veterans Affairs office to DVA. It outlines the courses you are currently enrolled or pre-registered for. The VA office uses this form to comply with DVA rules and regulations to certify that your coursework meets degree requirements for graduation. You MUST complete this form every semester that you want to use your VA educational benefits.
Why do I have to complete a Change in Status (CIS) Form?
If course changes are made that differ from your original Certification Request Form, you must submit a CIS (Change in Status) form to request the course(s) you added to be considered for your enrollment certification. 
What if I want to take courses at another school so they can transfer back to Western Kentucky University?
If you plan to take courses at another school (visiting school) while you are working toward your degree at Western Kentucky University (home school), then you will need to notify our office of the course(s) you are taking at the visiting school.  If you are taking those courses at the same time you are taking courses at WKU, there is a space at the bottom of the Veteran Certification Request Form where you can enter those courses and the school at which you are taking them. If you are not taking courses at WKU at the same time you are taking courses at another school, then you need to complete the Visiting Student Request Form.
How do I pay for school?

Students must be prepared to pay for tuition and fees up front. It normally takes about 8 weeks following the initial application process for VA educational benefits before the first payment check can be expected. DVA works on a reimbursal basis. This means you are paid a monthly entitlement rate the month following your training. Out of that entitlement you are expected to pay all schooling costs.

Students utilizing Post 9/11 GI Bill MUST submit a copy of their Certificate of Eligibility (COE) to the VA Office at WKU. Once tuition is received from DVA, those funds will be posted to your student account, and you are responsible for any additional charges.   The VA Office at WKU offers a deferment for students who are utilizing their GI Bill and need assistance with their university bill.  The deferment will defer your balance until the end of the semester in which you request a deferment.

I thought the VA paid for my school. What is this monthly entitlement thing?
DVA pays for schooling through the monthly entitlement. As part of federal law, DVA has contracted to pay you a monthly benefit amount. This amount is the same nationwide and is the same for all similarly entitled veterans. Out of this monthly entitlement, you are expected to pay for all schooling costs, which can include tuition, fees, books, supplies and general living expenses.

**Chapter 33 (Post 9/11) students will have percentage of their tuition and fees paid by the Department of Veterans Affairs directly to Western Kentucky University after being certified to VA.
How much money will I get each month?
The amount of entitlement is determined by DVA and the length of your training time. To obtain the amount in your specific case, please contact the DVA at 1-888-442-4551. You may also view the rate chart.
I am an active duty serviceperson. What happens to me?
You are not authorized the full monthly entitlement rate. DVA authorizes you to be reimbursed for the full amount of your tuition and fees only up to the amount you would be authorized at the monthly entitlement rate. Tuition and fees does not include books or supplies.
Why can't I take the courses I want? It's my money!
VA Educational Benefits are an earned entitlement to be used for pursuit of an educational goal. The Code of Federal Regulations is very specific regarding proper degree pursuit, and benefits will be paid only for courses that count for graduation credit in an approved degree program or that are university requirements to complete a deficiency.
Why is my money reduced if I don't attend courses?
Non-attendance or excessive, non-excused absences from a course(s) that result in a failing grade are reported to DVA as punitive grades. The money received for those hours must be repaid. DVA will not pay for you to not attend class.
How do I start my VA educational benefits?
You will need to complete the application packet that can be obtained from the campus in which your degree program is offered.
I have not received my money. What do I need to do?
Please refer to the payment information page.

Note: documents in Portable Document Format (PDF) require Adobe Acrobat Reader 5.0 or higher to view,
download Adobe Acrobat Reader.

Note: documents in Excel format (XLS) require Microsoft Viewer,
download excel.

Note: documents in Word format (DOC) require Microsoft Viewer,
download word.

Note: documents in Powerpoint format (PPT) require Microsoft Viewer,
download powerpoint.

Note: documents in Quicktime Movie format [MOV] require Apple Quicktime,
download quicktime.

 Last Modified 6/28/17