Facebook Pixel Veterans Affairs | Western Kentucky University Skip to main content

Veterans Affairs

VA Terminology

Department of Veterans Affairs (DVA) - The DVA is the federal agency responsible for the processing and payment of VA Education Benefits in accordance with Title 38. WKU personnel are not affiliated with or employed by the DVA.

Certificate of Eligibility (COE) - This is issued by DVA when your completed application has been reviewed without the University submitting an enrollment certification, eligibility exists, and your program of study is approved.

Award Letter - DVA will issue an award letter to you when payment of your VA Educational Benefits are authorized. This serves as notification that your enrollment has been processed by DVA for a specific time period.

Delimiting Date - The expiration date of your VA Educational Benefits.

Matriculation - This means that all documents required to make you a degree-seeking student have been received by the University. This can include, but is not limited to, the following documents: High School Transcript or GED score, official transcripts from all other colleges attended, DD-214 Member Copy-4, and/or an AARTS transcript.

Certification Request Form (CRF) - The Certification Request Form is the school form used by servicepersons, veterans, reservists, and dependents to request certification/payment for the VA education benefits. The CRF must be submitted each and every semester to the VA office.

Change in Status (CIS) - The Change In Status form is the school form that is submitted by the student when classes have been added after the Certification Request Form was submitted. 

Mitigating Circumstances - DVA defines mitigating circumstances as "unanticipated and unavoidable events which interfere with pursuit of a course." A student may submit mitigating circumstances when requesting a waiver in the case of overpayment. DVA will adjudicate the matter and either waive the overpayment or require repayment of funds.

Overpayment - A debt which the student owes to DVA. Most commonly, overpayment is the result of withdrawal from a course or courses after the regular drop/add period. More information about overpayment is available in the DVA Summary of Education Benefits.

Training Time - Training Time dictates a student's rate of pay. Rate of pay for active duty servicepersons and chapter 32 recipients is outlined in the appropriate DVA Summary of Education Benefits.

Change of Advisor/Major/Minor Form - The University document used by students to officially declare or change degree program.

Some of the links on this page may require additional software to view.

 Last Modified 2/19/18