Campus Recreation & Wellness Calendar
- Date: Thursday, October 27th, 20112011-10-27
- Time: 5:00pm - 7:00pm
- Location: Fitness CenterFitness Center
The Big Red Bench Off is an upper body muscular strength competition that will be held in the Fitness Center. Each participant will have 20 minutes (or four attempts) to reach their one rep max (1RM). The winner will be the participant with the highest percentage based upon his or her 1RM relative to their body weight. For example, 1RM=300lb and BW=180lb, 300\180=167%.
Sign up for the Bench Off starts on October 17, 2011. Walk-ins are welcome, but subject to availability. To make an appointment, or for more information, stop by the Health and Fitness Lab (room 20A in the Preston Center).
All participants must sign a consent form/waiver!
Each participant will have 20 minutes to reach their one rep max (1RM).
The winner will be the participant with the highest percentage based upon his or her 1RM relative to their body weight. (e.g. 1RM-300, BW-180, 300/180=166.7%)
- Participants must use a closed grip (thumb around bar)
- The lifter must lie on his/her back with head, shoulders, and butt in full contact on the bench. This position must be maintained throughout the attempt.
- Feet must remain flat on the floor at all times.
- Participants must show control of the weight at all times while lowering the bar to touch the chest and back to full elbow extension (no bouncing!!)
- A Health and Fitness Lab staff member will judge each lift. If any of the above criteria are not met, the lift will be invalid.