Be a Recycling Pro!
We want all of our Hilltoppers to be recycling pro’s! Once an item is place in the bin, that is just the beginning of its recycling journey. By utilizing a few recycling best practice tips, we can ensure the recycling process is cost effective and convenient for our WKU staff. Following these tips will help WKU produce the highest quality recycled material to be re-purposed.
- Remove food and liquid waste from containers
- Food and liquid waste is the main contaminate in our recycling bins. By emptying out bottles and food containers we can have a more clean recycling stream.
- Remove non-recyclable waste from containers
- Waste like styrofoam is not recyclable on campus, so it is important to remove styrofoam from any boxes before they go in the recycling.
- Flatten boxes and other recyclables
- Flattening recyclable materials is one way to ensure we fit as much as possible in the bin before transporting it to the recycling facility in Louisville. When we flatten boxes and other items, we ensure WKU is transporting more recycling and less air to the facility.
- Avoid double-bagging recycling
- At our recycling sorter, each bag must be ripped open by an employee on a sorting line. If items are double-bagged, the employees struggle to rip the bags open causing the recycling to not be sorted properly.
Thank you for recycling! Go Tops!